Hyatt Card from Chase ...

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Brit, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the experiences of folks applying for the Hyatt card? I applied online a couple of days ago and received a simple "your application has been received and is being reviewed". No idea of when I will hear. I have several other Chase cards (including Pres Plus M/C for Continental) and all of my personal and business banking is with Chase.

Just wondered what others' experiences have been.

2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that the card with the 2 free nights sign up bonus? I've been looking at that, but really don't want another CC.

3. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's the one. I don't necessarily need another credit card - I have plenty of avaialble credit - but I am a Hyatt fan, and figure I may as well get two free nights at any hotel anywhere in the world. I am planning a trip to Asia mid-year, and staying in a really nice Hyatt for free would make me a happy bunny!

I have the Starwood Amex card, but don't spend a lot of nights in Starwood properties. The spend to retain gold is $30k a year and to move to Platinum where the real benefits are is not possible given that I don't do enough nights/stays...... ain't happening! So, I'd rather do my mattress runs at Hyatt (cheap in my area) and retain Diamond status at Hyatt.

4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same situation here. Trying to keep Starwood Platinum when I don't have that many stay nights. And hate to lose Hilton Gold, which does have some value. Hate to dilute it by spending two nights at Hyatt even if they are free., but I think I'm going to have to jump on this one because there are some cities where I just can't afford to pay for a room. It is a good offer...

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm debating this one now that I'm staying at Hyatts more. I am finishing up my 100K Citi deal and would want to cancel that card (and even a few others) before signing up for any others. I like the no foreign fee, although I already have that via my credit union but I appreciate having an alternative available.

6. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got the citi75k card for personal and business, so the next few months will be spent meeting the spend to get the 75k points. $8000 over 6 months.... will have to charge more than usually charge to reach it, but will transfer some of my monthly bill payments that I currently send to my CO Pres Plus card. Will get Mr.Brit to put his commute charges on so that will help. I'll also throw all my travel expenses onto those cards in short term.

How much impact does closing a card have on credit scores?

7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the impact on the score is really based on the overall credit picture of the individual. All things being equal with solid credit management skills (no lates, not close to maxing credit limits, etc) then the shift shouldn't be significant at all, but if you're about to go for a mortgage or something else where even a slightly lower score can cost you money, you should be careful.

8. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brit, how did you get both at the same time? Don't you have to wait 90 days after the personal before you can apply for the biz card?

9. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Fortunately, we have a perfect credit history with no lates, no delinquents, etc. and our mix of credit is varied: mortgage, credit cards, car loans, etc., although at the moment all we have are mortgages and credit cards, no instalment loans.

10. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know. I just applied for one straight after the other. Maybe it was because I used my company name to apply for the biz card rather than my name & associates? I got instant approval online.

Waiting for the cards to arrive. Really want them to take away with me this week on business so that I can start the spend with business expenses. Also want to transfer all my bill pays to the account to meet that $4k spend [​IMG]

11. What is the drawback to getting the Hyatt card, using the 2 free nights, and then immediately cancelling?

12. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting about this card Brit. I revisited my email and noticed the offer included instant upgrade to Platinum which will be nice when using my two free nights! So, I signed up and am awaiting review.

Brit likes this.
  13. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll still be charged the $75.00 fee...

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a deal for 2 nights in a Hyatt

Brit likes this.
  15. IF that's the only drawback, then this is a perfect card to churn. We just got the cards and quickly booked 4 free nights (2 from my wife's card). When we return, we'll cancel our cards and, after a few month wait, try our luck at reapplying (assuming promotion is still there).

16. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've had the card from day 1 and the two free suite nights at any Hyatt can be worth thousands of dollars if used correctly ;)

No foreign transaction fee is a big deal for me.

For the day to day earnings, it's an average card, not the best, not the worst

17. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    For sure.

I misunderstood the original question... thought it was about trying to avoid the fee, not churn. [​IMG]

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Chase has gotten pretty good with ensuring that you won't get a second sign-up bonus for the same card. Maybe if they ever get around to releasing a business card, that would be an option. Personally, I'd keep it for the Forex fee waiver, but I already have that on my BA Visa and so I am giving my credit report a bit of a rest at the moment. Might get the PC VISA later this spring for the Crack-The-Case promo, but hoping/waiting for the 80k point offer as it's not urgent for me to get it.

19. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure does! Especially if you use the free nights for a suite at a Park Hyatt somewhere overseas. I quite like the idea of Paris myself, or maybe Sydney?

20. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Asking for a recommendation:

I'm fairly new to this game, looking for lounge access, free breakfast and internet. Also like the no foreign transaction fee. Single traveler, don't care about suites, etc. On my own dime, maybe 50 nights a year, but often go for the 40 USD boutique/art hotels.

• Hilton Gold works for me (except for the hotels that upgrade you to biz room rather than club leve)l, with concentration can make Gold again on Surpass card and/or coins.
    • SPG Plat due to *MegaDO2 want to work to keep that level.
    • But I'm really liking Hyatt promos and hotels and just applied for this credit card.
    What to do? Advice very welcome.

21. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:

Hi Lili

I travel a fair bit with work, but have zero control over which hotels I stay at. Client always books the hotel. So, it's difficult for me to attain status in any one particular group. I stay at Marriotts, Doubltrees/Embassy Suites, Sheratons, etc. but never enough to quite make status.[​IMG]

So, I decided that I would make status in the Hyatt program on my own dime, and whenever we travel for personal stuff, I stay at a Hyatt wherever possible. I like Hyatts. I like the fact that they treat their diamonds very well, much moreso than any of the other chains it would appear. Although I've heard said that if you are a Platinum with SPG it's pretty sweet. Ain't happening for me, so I'm a Hyatt girl from now on.

The one nice thing about SPG, though, is that you can convert the points to air miles in your preferred program, and you usually get a bonus for doing so. Now that is a nice aspect of the SPG program. Plus, of course, SPG hotels are great!

I think it's very much a personal thing. Go where you think you will get the best value/return. After all, you have to pay to stay, so you may as well get the rewards that work for you.

22. Not too sure, but IIRC, Chase had some proviso with other mileage cards that require the account to remain active for 6 months or else they pull the miles back.

23. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    They definitely did with the United Airlines card, but I don't recall seeing that language on other Chase cards. Still something to be aware of, certainly.

24. jonman21
    Original Member

jonman21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to share my recent experience with this card and Hyatt's extraordinary (at least to me) customer service - they've definitely earned a customer for life.

I signed up for the card a couple weeks ago, got approved, and planned on using my two nights at the PH Tokyo this fall.

Award nights posted exactly one week after I made my first charge on the card, so I made a call to the Gold Passport Desk and tried to book my nights (a Fri-Sat stay). I was told Saturday was available, but Friday was not. Disappointed, I told the agent thanks, hung up, and then went online to do a bit of research.

It turns out that a standard room (Park Queen) was available when I chose Fri-Sat as the dates; but when I chose Fri by itself, no standard rooms appeared available.

I called back with this information, and the friendly woman on the phone said that with award nights, she has to enter a code separately per night. Since Friday by itself shows no standard rooms available, I wouldn't be able to book that night.

I wasn't going to accept that answer because how are we consumers supposed to know that agents are only able to book award nights separately? As far as we know, the deal is: if any standard rooms are available, then we should be able to book them with our award nights. And since I'm able to see a Park Queen available when searching Fri-Sat together, I should be able to use them.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor - and that supervisor ended up transferring me to his manager on duty. Wow, they're really trying to help me here. The manager on duty said he couldn't override the system, so he put me on hold and called the hotel directly. He then told me that the hotel's revenue manager wasn't in, so he'd have to call me the next day once he had a chance to get a hold of the hotel.

That manager called me the very next day and told me that the hotel's revenue manager manually opened up a promotional room for me and reserved it for my two-night Fri-Sat stay. I was so pleasantly surprised! I expressed my gratitude, gave him my credit card info to finalize the booking, and told him he earned a customer for life. :)

25. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that this card is excellent with respect to sign up bonuses, but as far as point accumulation goes, SPG Amex remains superior.