Hyatt Capital Gate - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Price123, Oct 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full review with pictures can be found on Driven2travel

The Hyatt Capital Gate is a new hotel (the first just Hyatt brand outside America) in the United Arab Emirate of Abu Dhabi. The hotel is a marvel of modern engineering (there was even a National Geographic program made about its building), and it dominates the area of Abu Dhabi where it is situated.

The hotel consists of 189 rooms (including 22 suites), each of which is unique in shape. Throughout the hotel, you are aware of how extraordinary the structure is - the building leans 18 degrees, over 4 times as much as the Leaning Tower of Pisa!

Hyatt Capital Gate has 5 food and beverage outlets and a fantastic spa and fitness centre. We loved spending time in the infinity pool on the 19th floor - we visited the hotel in August and always had the pool terrace to ourselves. For people worried about the heat, we didn't find it oppressive in June or August, but we would advise working out in the air-conditioned gym (with fantastic views) rather than going for a run!

The hotel is just 15 minutes from Abu Dhabi International Airport or a 60-90 minute drive from Dubai. On this occassion, we arranged a car from the Grand Hyatt Dubai for 400 AED. It is interesting to note that the same transfer would have been more expensive booked through Capital Gate.

On arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a deluxe room (due to our diamond status). We viewed a room which was spacious with a great bathroom (large egg-shaped bath and separate rain shower) and both city and sea views. The deluxe room was good, but not knowing when we would return to the hotel, we wanted to experience a suite so decided to use points to upgrade. Unfortunately, this meant increasing our rate to the daily rate (no possibility to negotiate here). As the hotel seemed to be running at about 20% occupancy, it would have been a nice gesture to upgrade to the suite on the rate we were paying. However, you can't really complain when a hotel follows te rules.

The member of staff who showed us around the hotel whilst our suite was made ready deserves special mention. She was incredibly patient whilst we took photos and asked questions, also volunteering information and offering to show us the spa treatment room proactively. Many of the staff in the hotel seemed inexperienced, however there was a really positive attitude and we were later told that the staff were really excited to have their first day running at 100% occupancy not far in the future.
    If booking or upgrading to a suite, we would recommend either telling the hotel what you want, or viewing multiple suites if you are unhappy with the first. The first suite we saw (before deciding to upgrade) had a large sitting area, decent sized bedroom and large bathroom designed so that you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. This suite had already been allocated to another guest, so were given one on a higher floor which seemed larger, with a large lounge (and guest cloakroom), a smaller bathroom semi-openplan to the bedroom. There are benefits to both layouts, but some people may dislike the proximity of the bathroom to the bedroom.

All rooms at Capital Gate come with remote-controlled blinds (ours had a mind of their own amusingly) and coffee machine. In suites, guests receive an amenity of a large fruit plate, chocolates and a bottle of wine, although part of this could have been the diamond welcome amenity. For longer stays, we would definitely recommend upgrading to a suite, but for shorter stays the deluxe room is perfectly adequate, light and airy.

Viewing different rooms, you quickly realise that each has a unique shape and all furniture has been made individually to suit (and fit).

The hotel has a number of food and beverage outlets, including Profiterole on the ground floor, offering sweet and savoury pastries; Lounge on the 18th floor, serving drinks, snacks and afternoon tea; Prive, which serves both as a break-out room for meetings during the day and a sports bar in the evening, and 18 degress, the main restaurant where breakfast is served. There is also a bar on the terrace by the pool.

We enjoyed breakfast on the terrace outside the restaurant, which offered the typical hotel continental and cooked breakfast. We also ate in the main restaurant for dinner, which was very good quality. We enjoyed watching the show kitchens and the menu offered a great choice of small and larger dishes, organised by country of origin. We had a fantastic rack of lamb with hazlenuts, cumin and lemon and a tasty spring chicken with sumac. Portions were perhaps a little on the small size and we felt the food was expensive (2 courses for 2 people with 1 glass of wine £150). A must if eating in the restaurant, is the turkish coffee, which is presented on a wonderful velvet cushion, along with chocolates in a similarly decadent way.

After seeing the couple's treatment room, we couldn't resist booking a treatment. We started with a bath - the spa baths have colour changing lights and are controlled to keep the water warm. We had never had a bath in a spa before (feeling that it was a waste of money when there was one in the room). However, we are now converts as the bath was so relaxing and a great start to our treatment. We followed with a 1 h massage. The therapists were highly skilled and we both fell asleep during the treatment (always a good sign).

The changing rooms in the spa are beautiful and in addition to offering private changing areas, lockers and the usual, also have a sauna and large experience shower. Unfortunately, as in usual in the UAE, these facilities are segregated, so we spent most of our time in the infinity pool. We were impressed on going out to the pool terrace, that a member of staff immediately appeared from inside to help with setting up the loungers, bringing towels and offering a drink (cold water is complimentary). Every so often, we were offered chilled towels which were very welcome. Amazingly, we never had to share the pool terrace with any other guests. If the hotel was busy, the pool is small and may feel a little crowded. However, as the hotel is mainly a business hotel, this is unlikely to be an issue, especially if you time your visit to the pool during the day.

The Hyatt Capital Gate is an iconic building which is worth visiting in itself. The hotel is beautifully styled with great facilities. With time, the staff will become more confident and the hotel will grow into itself. However, it is still well worth staying in the hotel for leisure or for business. We strongly recommend having a treatment in the spa, but if you are on a budget, we would suggest eating outside the hotel. There is not a lot to do in the area around the hotel, so budget for taxis, or perhaps split your time in Abu Dhabi between Capital Gate and the Park Hyatt on Saadiyat Island, as we will be doing during the 2013 Driven2travel Megado.

2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    During my recent trip to the UAE. I stayed at this hotel as well and it was the complete opposite from what I experienced at the PH. I arrived at about 7 a.m. and was welcomed by one of the senior managers at the hotel. Then I was giving a tour of the hotel itself. My personal highlight was the outdoor pool unfortunately I was only able to enjoy it for a short time due a sand storm. I was assign a Capital Suite on the 23rd floor and the layout was a little strange, but otherwise it was wonderful and every staff member seemed to be genuine friendly. I probably visit the hotel on my next trip to Abu Dhabi.

All Pictures from my stay can be found here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does look a strange layout. For future stays, I would request seeing other suites if you're not happy with the first one. Some have a guest cloakroom and all are different shapes/layouts.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Your content is great, but your site generator needs to be taken out and shot for generating such lousy markup.

Scottrick likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it takes a long time to load. Sometimes a blog can be too "fancy." Generally I avoid anything with pop-ups or slideshows.

6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

That's not what I mean. I mean the source is on crack.

It's the complete allergy to p tags and trying to make them with br and span instead.

It's not invalid markup, but it will screw with anyone using screen readers, etc., as it doesn't give the right contextual clues because it's not the way HTML markup's supposed to work.

Also, you can't put a block level element (like form) inside an inline element (span), which is one of the two errors on the page.

7. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry to say I have no idea what you are talking about. I work full time in bioscience but run travel reviews and agency in my other time (can't really call it spare time). The website loads ok on my wifi but it needs to be first. I know very little about website design so have to use a drop and drag host. I'm hoping to hire someone to improve things soon as have an idea I hope will provide the income to do so. I apologise for the problems.

8. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are slideshows (otherwise the page would be too long as we sometimes have over 100 photos of a property) but there should be no pop-ups or adverts.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't say there were pop-ups, only that stuff like that takes longer to load. Ads generally don't bother me. Overly complicated websites that load slowly bother me.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The drag and drop host you're using has no idea how to generate proper HTML code. Probably part of the reason the site loads slowly for others (hard to say as I looked when I was at the office and we have really good internet there) is because the markup is not at all what the HTML spec writers had in mind when they wrote it.

I work on a browser. I look at broken HTML code all day. I haven't seen generated markup this messed up since the FrontPage era.

thesterlingtraveler likes this.