Hyatt Avia Napa - No Suite Upgrades, Period

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by theBOAT, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I tried to do a search for this, but it came up empty. I just got off the phone with the Diamond line, where I was attempting to apply a confirmed suite upgrade cert to a reservation at the Avia Napa property. Well, absolutely zero luck with that!! The agent said that the property does not allow any suite upgrades to be issued (diamond certs, points, etc.). I mentioned that this was not listed as an excluded property on the suite upgrade page, like some Park Hyatts are, but that apparently doesn't matter. :confused:

So, I politely asked her to cancel my reservation. I'm going to book myself at the Westin Versa Napa after I submit this post, since I was there last year, I liked it, and I'll get a nice room with my SPG Plat status. Sorry you lost out on my $'s, Hyatt...

theBOAT

Tenmoc, MSPeconomist, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. I was deciding between these hotels for a weekend in Jan in which the Avia is $50 more expensive each night when compared to the Westin (the Westin does add a pesky $20 "amenity" fee however). Have the Westin booked for now, and the lack of suite upgrades at the Avia might push me towards retaining that choice. Too bad, as I really liked the Avia in Long Beach and was looking forward to trying this out.

uggboy and alohastephen like this.
  3. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be staying at the Napa Avia in a week for the first time. I know the Westin very well it is a very comfortable hotel I will try to come back with a comparison between the two.

uggboy, Sweet Willie, theBOAT and 2 others like this.
  4. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, last night I booked myself into the Westin, and even secured the coveted "Cash & Points" redemption option! It's actually the first time I've been able to use this vs. the full freight for a free night, so it was icing on the cake.

Lighthouse, please do post back with your impressions of the hotel. Even though I'm a little disappointed with their handling of the upgrade situation, I'm still slightly curious about the property, and may add on an addition night in wine country (oh, the horror!!) to give it a try. It's going to be doubling the $$ cost of my vacation hotel budget, but I think I can manage if it's a nice enough experience ;)

theBOAT

uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  5. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    theBoat,
    I will be happy too. I have never seen a cash and points redemption at the Westin what terms were you able to get?

uggboy and Quasiconvexity like this.
  6. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there is lots of availability on C&P in Jan and Feb, except for thu-Sat nights

uggboy likes this.
  7. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm booking for my wedding anniversary, so it's at the end of May. Staying Mon-Thurs.

As a Cat 5 hotel, it was 4,800 points & $90 per night. It's about 2cents/point of value for my dates (borderline value, and I was not sure about doing it, but like I said above I was just happy to finally be able to redeem for it), but it could be more, as I cannot find any mention of the $20/day resort fee being applicable for my rate. I'm guessing I'll have the privilege of paying it in addition, though!

theBOAT

uggboy and Lighthouse like this.
  8. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm guessing that this is either a new policy, or the agent you spoke to was misinformed. I made a reservation for my father about 2 months ago at AVIA Napa, and used one of his Diamond upgrades to put him in a Lux suite.

uggboy, kenbo and Quasiconvexity like this.
  10. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was also recently advised that I could not use a suite upgrade on my upcoming visit from both the Hyatt Diamond reservation line as well as the hotel (though they did suggest they would try to upgrade me)

uggboy likes this.
  11. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now the last two posts really have me scratching my head... but perhaps it is a new policy? And not a very customer friendly one, either.

theBOAT

uggboy likes this.
  12. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a stay at the Avia Napa. They upgraded us two levels without an official upgrade. As much as I wanted to like this hotel I personally feel that the Westin Verasa is the much stronger of the two. The Westin is in a much nicer location with a river and park view if you are on the right side. The Avia is surrounded by other buildings and a parking lot. The Westin has more of a classical tall ceiling, well lit lobby. The Avia attempts to be darker and trendier in their lobby and halls and does not pull It off. The Westin has small kitchen areas and balconies within comfortable sized suites. The Avia has a bathtub as its centerpiece in its rooms. While there are different tradeoffs between the hotels ( price, breakfast, etc.) I feel overall if you want to stay in Napa you will have a much nicer visit at the Westin.

boondr, theBOAT and Quasiconvexity like this.
  13. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    A new year, a new change for the better. I just used one of my last Diamond suite upgrades for this year's trip to Napa. Hopefully I have a better experience than Lighthouse did last year!

It didn't seem like the agent had any problem applying the certificate (I'm still on hold, but the confirmation email already hit my account), so that's much better than my original post above.

theBOAT

14. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Follow-up report to my post above:

I'm in the middle of a friendly discussion with Hyatt MP team members about the Andaz Napa, so I wanted to post the info for anyone else looking to use their confirmed upgrade certificates in Napa. It looks like these certs will confirm you into the what the Andaz considers their entry level suite - the Loft room. I took issue with this "suite," since it's really just a 385 square foot room with a 2/3's width wall separating the couch from the bedroom, and the Andaz Napa's website hosted by Hyatt shows this as a "deluxe room" (along with the Large Loft room and the Large Loft Terrace room) and not a suite.

Apparently my confirmed instrument upgrade, plus voicing my concern to my Host at check-in, put me into the same room that Lighthouse had during his stay - the Large Loft (2x above the standard suite, according to Customer Service).

FYI - save your certificates for better upgrades at other properties.

FYI #2 - the only difference between the Loft room and the Large Loft room is the addition of a bathtub right next to your bed (about 2 feet away), which actually comes at the expense of bathroom space (the Loft room I looked at had a nice, spacious bathroom, whereas the Large Loft was slightly cramped due to it being about 1/2 as deep b/c of the tub's footprint). Unless you love to take baths (in a non-jetted tub), save your $ and stick with the cheaper Loft room.

theBOAT

uggboy likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To be clear: this property is now the Andaz and Diamond suite upgrades can be applied.

I did this in fall 2012 and got a "suite" in the corner of the building without much sunlight, looking toward the deck with fire pits. My "suite" was small and sort of L-shaped. The bedroom was not much bigger than the king bed. On the opposite side, there was a TV/desk/minibar. The bathroom was pretty normal for a small suite and IIRC included both bathtub and shower. The living room (the shorter wing of the L) contained the only window and allowed a large sofa, cocktail table, and flat screen TV. There was no door, wall, or furniture separating the sitting area from the bedroom, just that the sitting area stuck out almost like a small addition to the space.

uggboy likes this.
  16. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very disappointed. We are currently at Andaz in a 'large' loft..... I asked for a quiet rm and starting around eight am we hear housekeeping banging and talking loudly in the hallway in front my room. They also leave various service carts in the hallway 24 hrs.... I do not think we will come back here.

Tenmoc and theBOAT like this.
  17. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:

Not impressed by the property at all. The "suite" was tiny and faced a wall. Even if the property was empty, they refused to upgrade us to something larger.

Breakfast was actually really good and they took it off the bill after making them aware at check out. Guess what happened on Monday? The charge showed up on my credit card again.. It took 4 calls to the property to get a hold of someone and months for the charge to be removed.

Meh..

alfagirl likes this.
  18. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is disappointing. was looking forward to taking the wife to a romantic weekend.
    Any new feedback from people who went there the last 4-5 months that might change this impression?
    Thanks
    ClarkyBoy