HYATT AT OLIVE AND EIGHTH (SEATTLE)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by marcwint55, Apr 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just spent a night at the Hyatt at Olive and Eighth. As usual the service was fantastic and the complimentary suite upgrade was greatly appreciated. I was a little disappointed to find one policy change regarding breakfast for diamonds. There is no longer a coupon given out and the breakfast is only for two instead of four and is deducted from the hotel bill upon checkout.

perryplatypus, gleff and uggboy like this.
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wife and I are staying there later in the month. Any suggestions?

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. If there are 4 guests registered to the room they would still need to honor breakfast for four -- but previously you could invite over friends -- uber generous.
    2. some recent reports that room service breakfast option was back, was that your experience as well?
    3. i find the breakfast in the restaurant there to be excellent!

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several times when I stayed there, I had to call to get the breakfast removed from my bill. Even if it wasn't showing on my bill at checkout, it can get posted after checkout. But I agree with Gary that the food is excellent. Crab eggs benedict. Yummy

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add me to those who love the crab eggs Benedict there. Not crazy about the rooms there, though, compared with the Hyatt Regency across the street. However, they do have a pool along with the gym.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were offered room service breakfast on our recent stay when we had an early departure, and it arrived right on time. However there was a charge on our bill for breakfast, certainly not the full amount, but perhaps the amount over a threshold. We hadn't been told that there was a limit, but I can assure you that ordering two entrees and a pot of coffee apparently hits the limit. I intend to call to inquire, but haven't gotten around to it.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually like these rooms better than the Grand Hyatt, but maybe that's because I got the strangest, narrowest suite when I stayed at the GH.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of variety. I had a Denver omelette on Saturday and French Toast on Monday. In the past I've had waffles. Quite a difference from the Hyatt Place over at the Space Needle where I spent Saturday night---was surprised they didn't have yogurt or bananas, a staple I'm used to at Hyatt Places in Northern CA.

16th floor suite from this weekend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos including my corner king on Friday in THIS GALLERY.

9. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review!

Looking at staying in Seattle shortly. Deciding between the Hyatt Olive 8 and the Grand Hyatt... both same price $230 (also thinking about using points). Only GP Platinum. Any recommendations for one over the other?

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having stayed at both, I would go with the Olive 8 or the GH.

11. smayorga

smayorga Active Member

Status Points:
    Definitely go with the H Olive 8. Reasonable point redemption level.

12. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great breakfast at Olive 8 as a Diamond

13. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently (may 5-9) stayed at the GH Seattle and wasn't impressed. There is no restaurant though one can use Ruth's Chris which is attached but not part of the hotel. There didn't appear to be a 'bar lounge' where one could meet clients. For that we met at the Sheraton. I did not see the one at olive.

14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be an anniversary celebration trip with my wife (not a business trip). Sounds like the Olive 8 is the way to go! Thanks for your thoughts.

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never failed to get a high-floor room with great light and with a view of the water at the GH, but this has been as a Diamond. At the Olive, I have had rooms that were dark and narrow with views of buildings across the street. The GH has given me suites without my using a cert, while the Olive has never done so. Therefore, from a room perspective, I prefer the GH. As a Diamond, I'm fine with their lounge, though I do like breakfast at the Olive. If I'd be paying for breakfast anyway, I'd stay at the GH, then walk the block to the Olive, or any of the other places nearby. That's my perspective.

So, depends on what you want.

Betty Boop likes this.
  16. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for reminding me that there are other important things to consider. I did have a high floor (23) and a jr. Suite for minimal fee ($30) with a great view. And the in room coffee is great. Torrefazione!

17. smayorga

smayorga Active Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at the Hyatt Olive 8 last weekend. Used confirmed suite upgrade on paid room (2 days) and was given Presidential Suite. Room service breakfast as a Diamond GP member in addition to all the other usual benefits. Great treatment!

marcwint55 and OceanBreezes like this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have gotten suite upgrades at both Olive 8 and GH without using a Diamond cert on paid stays. Both have nice rooms but the suites at the GH strike me as nicer rooms. I've never been a big fan of sliding glass doors on hotel bathrooms and both times I had a suite at Olive 8 that's what I got. The suite at GH was much larger and had a wonderful bathroom.

Don't get me wrong, I like both properties very much.

19. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also like the suites at the GH better than O8. The layout feels nicer. I feel like the long and narrow living room of the O8 suite is just wasted space.

marcwint55 likes this.