Hyatt at BOS -REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hotel is basically onsite at BOS, so van transpo is offered. You must call, and IMO is a often a little on the slow side to arrive.

Check-in was prompt, with diamond status recognized and amenity offered. I usually take points, but their warm choc chip cookies are excellent, and a little bit different amenity. They come in a small tin, so will even keep well. Bellman available.

Upgraded to a city view room, quite a nice view. (Odd numbers face the city) Large room. Wired and wireless available. Average size bath. Nice desk area, but would be even nicer if it faced the window instead of the wall.

Ordered room service. Delivered promptly, average. Although never terrible, IMO the food in this hotel is not up to the standards of many Hyatt's, I think even Cambridge has better offerings. And since there isn't any where else to eat in the area, it is a slight shortcoming The view from the restaurant/bar area is spectacular though, and in the summer you can eat outside overlooking the water, so who cares!

There is a water taxi that runs directly across to the city, and cabs are always available out front. Be aware that there is a fairly hefty charge to park...although there is currently an AAA rate that offers half off parking.

Work-out area is nice, steam room and indoor pool.

The location, the view, and the service at this hotel are excellent. I stay here rather often, and the hotel is consistent in all areas.

uggboy, Zantaine and tom911 like this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    How are the prices at this hotel? Are they similar to other airport properties, or much higher?

uggboy likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me add some photos here, too. City photo taken from hotel walkway at rear. MORE HERE

[​IMG][​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The water taxi doesn't run that late, after that you have to taxi. I think this place is fine for an overnight stay but I can't imagine using it for a longer Boston visit.

uggboy likes this.
  5. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found the pricing to be all over the place. I have paid as little as $139, and as much as $250. We have a fairly decent corp rate, but it isn't always available. What is also odd is that they have 2 AAA rates, the NE AAA offers half price parking and is generally lower than the standard AAA rate.

I completely agree, and apologize If that was not apparent in my OP. I am here after a late arriving or pre- early AM flight. BUT if i am meeting a newbie to BOS at the airport, I will bring them here for drink before we head into the city, they are always impressed at their "first view".

uggboy likes this.
  6. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bar here has an absolutely outstanding bacon bluecheese burger. The eggwhite omelette breakfast is also very good. I know that these two things seem diametrically opposed but I find they weigh each other out [​IMG]

I've had multiple suite upgrades here without having to use upgrade vouchers. The staff is always very friendly and professional. The pool, sauna and workout room are great.

uggboy likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have some more photos:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  8. TransitFlyer

TransitFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here 2 weeks ago using Priceline for $85 a/i ($68 bid). Diamond status was fully recognized and check-in staff even offered food amenity and points - what a bonus. Also was upgraded to a Suite just for the asking. Fantastic stay and great staff.

uggboy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How late does the water taxi run in the evening? How much is the taxi approximately?

uggboy likes this.
  10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I took the water taxi from Long Wharf Marirott to the hotel in January. It was cold. The "cabbie" advised me that they run until 10 p.m. Its $10/person each way.

I stayed at the Hyatt Harborside last week, and agree that it is best used as a pit stop if you are getting into BOS late. BUT, if you can make yourself view the water taxi as part of the fun (which it is not in January, but perhaps in July) that would considerably mitigate the pain.

As noted elsewhere on MP, I truly enjoyed my welcome amenity - an artisinal local cheese platter with the ubiquitous Canvas Chardonnay. And the breakfast buffet (offered to Diamonds, who can also order off the menu) was quite good.

I used a fast expiring upgrade (for an 11 hour stay - what a waste) and I received what had the footprint of two standard connecting rooms. The living room had a murphy bed and its own bath, which might make the upgrades well used for a family that wants some space. And the view of the BOS skyline is pretty dramatic.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can update previous posts. Stayed here in August, arriving late night. Truly enjoyed being able to enjoy the breakfast buffet. Was reporting to a site near Boston Garden, and the watertaxi to that remote location was $20, but meaningfully less than a real taxi and a truly nice way to start the day.

uggboy likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a one-night stay at this property about two weeks ago, my first time staying there. I was arriving very late at night, so I suspected the wait might be longer than normal. I decided to hoof it, since the walk was only just over a mile and I'm disgustingly out of shape based on my recent cholesterol screening and the somewhat lumpy nature here and there that has developed as my body has gotten older.
    It turned out to be an easy walk and I was checked in rather efficiently and up to my room shortly after arriving. There was a great shot of runway 14-32 from the elevator window at night, but the glare off the window made for a horrible final pic. I grabbed one the next morning on an overcast rainy day.
    [​IMG]

The room itself was perfectly fine, a normal room on the top floor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a brighter day, I would have had a decent view of the Boston skyline. But, as a diehard Yankees fan, it was just fine with me.
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The hotel does not have a Diamond lounge, so Diamond members get free buffet breakfast in the main restaurant. This was actually one of the better hotel breakfast buffets I've seen in a while for a mid-tier property, so a decent added benefit. It definitely had a European flair, with plenty of meats and cheeses along with smoked salmon, fresh waffles and the normal eggs, fruit, cereal, breads, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other benefit to the water taxi that I didn't see mentioned above is that you can avoid traffic to and from downtown during rush hour. I don't regard BOS traffic as horrible, but it's a small plus to taking the taxi.
    [​IMG]

The hotel sells the tickets for the same price as the taxi stands, and they'll charge them to your room. So, a $15 ticket can yield an extra 50 points or so for a Diamond member with all the bonuses. Not a lot of points, but no respectable mileage junkie would turn down 50 free points.

viguera and uggboy like this.
  14. shinbal

shinbal Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at this hotel dozens of times. If you have a chance when there, ask for Louie at the front desk. He totally gets it when it comes to the GP program. He's supremely nice and goes out of his way to help with room location, amenities, etc. I've actually found service at this hotel overall to be really good. Rates can be outrageous if there's a convention in town. But I'd pick this hotel over the Hilton or anything else in the area.

15. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm back at the Hyatt Logan. Shuttle was a bit slow, but given that it was full I understand why. Most of my stays have, regrettably, been in winter, but this place is standout tonight. I'm enjoying a nightcap on their back patio, where they have seating and propane fired fire pits. It was ninety something when I left DC, so low 70's is excellent. The view across the harbor is great and the water is so flat that there is a perfect reflection of the skyline. Three tall ships are in port and each has lights along it's masts. Not a bad way to start a business trip.

studio253 likes this.
  16. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be staying here tomorrow and three more stays in the coming weeks. The staff is really outstanding. I fly out of Logan a lot and this is hotel is the best option out there.

17. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    My small gripe, which I have learned to deal with, is that they want you to be available at the curbside before they dispatch their shuttle. I am always careful to ensure that I do not delay them, but when I tell them I am on the jetway or in the terminal, I do not think it premature to dispatch their shuttle.

18. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here many times and agree that breakfast is a notch above. Recently may have degraded a little bit (no pineapple, less creative hot buffet, muffins without muffin tops), but I hope it's a temporary bump!

As for the shuttle, I call when walking up jet bridge, saying that I'm walking out of terminal X. Still end up having to wait 5-10 minutes for the shuttle, but I definitely don't wait until out at the curb!

19. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cannot say I have detected a decline in the buffet, but the subtle downgrades you describe would escape my notice.

I do wish that making my arrival at the curb and their shuttle's arrival at that same curb did require my fibbing a bit. I seldom check bags, so if I am on the jetway, it is not premature to dispatch the shuttle. But I suppose they have gotten burnt by people who make them circle. It remains, to me, an undiscovered gem.

20. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I have previously referred to this property as one which is likely to exceed expectations.

Last week, not so much.

I got into Logan late - had already brushed my teeth and literally went to bed without entering the bathroom.

The next morning, I walked into the bathroom, and found that housekeeping had apparently not touched it from the last guest. A towel was on the floor, soap on the floor of the tub, a comb on the counter. It could have been far worse, and it was indeed, cleaner than my bathroom at home. But OMG, my bathroom at home should not be the standard.

I took photos on my ipad and showed them to the FD. They were apologetic and comped the beer I had the night prior and gave me a free water taxi pass to downtown. They also offered breakky, which, as a diamond I did not particularly need. Otherwise, there has been no follow up.

Troubling. And thank goodness - for all involved - that I am among the 5% or so least gross-outable. I just chalk it up to an honest internal controls failure and can be forgiving. But given that I have been (and will continue to be) a cheerleader for this property, I have to identify this isolated error.

21. Biggles209
    Original Member

Biggles209 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was offered complimentary water taxi tickets as a Diamond extra. This was very much appreciated, and it is a great way to start a day.

22. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for some advice on an upcoming June trip to Boston. We'll be in town mainly to see the Boston Pops, but will have 3 nights to kill and love to walk and explore. I like the location of this hotel, but it seems a bit out of the way when compared to the Hyatt Regency.

Has anyone stayed at both? Which would you recommend?

23. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt Logan BOS is not good if you're with family who wants to site see downtown / back bay/etc. Water taxi or cabs get old and it's not walkable. Stay at the regency downtown for sightseeing unless you have a late arrival or very early departure.

SeaRaptor likes this.
  24. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate the advice. Thanks!

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've never minded the water taxi from BOS. If you have kids they would likely enjoy it. I wouldn't call either property a stand-out but the breakfast at BOS for diamonds is pretty decent. I'd let rate decide if it were me.