Hyatt and MGM Resorts Announce New Loyalty Program Relationship

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by J Zidell VP Hyatt, Jun 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Greetings MilePoint members,

On behalf of all of us here at Hyatt, thank you for your participation in this frequent traveler community. As I’ve said before, your thoughtful feedback and ideas offered here truly help to guide Hyatt Gold Passport program innovations. Over time, many of you have shared your desires for a wider selection of locations for earning and burning your Hyatt Gold Passport points – with a particular interest in The Las Vegas Strip as a new destination.

Well, MilePointers, you’re in luck! I’m excited to share some news with you: Hyatt and MGM Resorts International® have formed an unprecedented relationship that will offer substantial benefits to members of both loyalty programs, Hyatt Gold Passport and M life.

Beginning on June 20, 2013, Hyatt Gold Passport members will have the opportunity to earn and redeem Hyatt Gold Passport points at 12 iconic M life resorts on The Las Vegas Strip – from the MGM Grand® and Mandalay Bay® to the Mirage® and Bellagio®. All eligible nights and stays at these resorts will count toward Hyatt Gold Passport tier status. And, each of the 12 participating resorts will be available for reservations and award night bookings through hyatt.com and our Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Centers.

Plus, coming this August, Hyatt Gold Passport members can enjoy unique benefits – like pre-sale access to premier entertainment, exclusive M life Moments experiences and more – when opting in for a matched tier status in M life. That’s more options for tasty rewards than a Las Vegas buffet!

Stay tuned, as more information about this unique relationship will be available on June 20. For answers to frequently asked questions, visit hyatt.com/mlife.

Viva Las Vegas!

Jeff Zidell
    Senior Vice President
    Hyatt Gold Passport

2. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great news.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big news. Arguably the most significant change in the hotel loyalty partnership landscape this year. Very impressive, indeed.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This kills me... I just spent a week at an MGM resort. Could have done so as a Hyatt Platinum and earned a buttload of points. :(

General_Flyer, edekba and Kalboz like this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice! usually maintain Pearl and platinum.

General_Flyer, Sedosi and Kalboz like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome news!, Too bad I just came back from a Bachelor party in vegas this past wknd where we got 2 rooms for 3 nights each.

Oh well ... next time in vegas at least!

General_Flyer and viguera like this.
  7. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially for Las Vegas! This is huge news and I can't wait for the details. So does this mean that I have Platinum Pearl status? :D

Thank you, Hyatt!

General_Flyer, viguera and edekba like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least in "my world" this isn't huge news. ;)

TRAVELSIG and General_Flyer like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As of August, yes.
    It doesn't provide me any value personally. But that doesn't mean it isn't big news.

General_Flyer, LETTERBOY and edekba like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big news if one is into Vegas and that sort of thing. Though I am a Hyatt Plat, the Vegas scene -- in fact, Hyatt USA -- simply ain't my thing. Any MGMs in Asia? :)

General_Flyer likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I thought there were some MGM resorts in Macau.

General_Flyer, NYCUA1K and edekba like this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Macao maybe?

General_Flyer and NYCUA1K like this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally!! Great news, thank you!

General_Flyer likes this.
  15. Whiskarina

Whiskarina Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOO HOO!! This is huge news when your husband loves going to Vegas to bet $ on sports! Jeff, you have piqued my interest on the pre-sale access to premier entertainment. Does this mean I will have front row to Justin Bieber?

Thanks for the good news and I hope you are well!

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't matter, at least right now, as this partnership is only for the Vegas properties.

viguera and General_Flyer like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's not a benefit, that's punishment.

18. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    So after thinking about this for a day, I came to a couple of realizations. Since a status match is easy to do, this will inflate the number of Hyatt elites. Either that will make suite upgrades harder to come by or there will be a reduction of benefits. For example, stays at Excalibur often go for $20-25. You could theoretically achieve diamond status for not much more than $500. Even if the stays are not counted towards Hyatt elite status, but the nights are, Hyatt Diamond could be an easy and cheap achievement.

In a way, I kind of hope that there is something done to discourage this. Perhaps make Luxor and Excalibur ineligible for Hyatt stay/night credit?

viguera likes this.
  19. thesterlingtraveler

Status Points:
    Right, it depends a lot on proximity and frequency of Vegas vacations one takes to make it big news vs no news.

viguera likes this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I think the only way they could do this is by categorizing the MGM properties in Vegas, then change the accrual rate based on the category. I think if they had planned to do this, they would have probably said something at the time of the announcement.

I suppose there's still time, but I would have imagined that this is the sort of detail that they would have released right off the bat.

Out of the dozen or so MGM properties, you'd have to categorize the high / mid-tier ones for stay credit, and maybe the lower end ones to earn no credit or partial. There are A LOT of hotels that can be had for very, very cheap on the list, so you could potentially re-qualify for Diamond very early in the year for very cheap.

I'd say the ones that wouldn't earn full credit would be Excalibur, New York New York, Luxor, Circus Circus and Railroad Pass.

I'd put The Mirage and Mandalay Bay (and maybe even the MGM Grand itself) somewhere in the middle, then everything else would be high-end.

thesterlingtraveler likes this.
  21. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really good news for this frequent Vegas visitor... I used to consider it my second home. I posted about a transaction like this making sense back when Hilton dropped the Las Vegas Hilton (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...be-a-hilton-by-end-of-2011.13590/#post-551054)... although the idea was originally for Hilton as a replacement for the LVH. I remember mentioning to my now wife how I wished Hyatt would do it instead of Hilton and low and behold 2 yrs later to the month, the announcement is made. :D

Here's how I see the winners from this deal:
    • Hyatt is a winner with MGM buying significantly more of their points vs. Hyatt buying Mlife points
    • All of us Hyatt fans are big winners with being able to earn GP points while staying on the strip at a multitude of price points / hotel types
    • The biggest winners will be the MGM resorts as we will drive a lot more business to their properties and help fill up that 35,000+ room capacity:
      • Aria - 4,004
      • Bellagio - 3,950
      • Excalibur - 3,981
      • Luxor - 4,407
      • Mandalay Bay - 3,309
      • MGM - 5,044
      • Mirage - 3,044
      • Monte Carlo - 2,992
      • NYNY - 2,024
      • Signature at MGM - 1,728
      • THEhotel - 1,117
      • Vdara - 1,495
    This will make it easier for some to earn Hyatt status by staying at MGM resorts if you can stay there during the week in the middle of summer.... and don't forget about the $15-28 daily resort fee.

iloveawardtravel and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great move by Hyatt. Congratulations!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. Those factors determine whether it is personally relevant, not whether it is big news in the broader market.

I question that last one, mostly based on not being so sure that this will drive significant market share shifts in hotel bookings. Maybe it will but the HGP program isn't all that huge to begin with. This may just cost MGM money in terms of buying HGP points and delivering M life benefits to customers they would have attracted anyways. We'll see, I suppose.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just don't see this being something people exploit en masse. Sure, some of us will exploit anything that comes along. But, you still have to figure in flights and resort fees to your number, and I can't imagine thousands of people are flocking to accrue Diamond status in Vegas.

And, FWIW, I'm totally not in favor of making some properties ineligible for stay/night credit. Hyatt is a model of consistency. Not a ton of properties that don't participate exactly like all the others (yes, I'm looking at you, SPG). Let's keep it that way.

25. marcocean

marcocean Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love this! Hopefully the Hyatt/mLife partnership will be better than The Cosmopolitan/Marriott partnership as far as taking care of elite members. The Cosmopolitan/Marriott Rewards partnership is kind of a joke. Marriott Gold got me nothing but free internet at The Cosmopolitan...and they even tried to charge me for it when checking out. I had to say something and the agent had to check with her manager. She had no clue.