Hyatt 48 Lex

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by kw335, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my review of the brand new Hyatt 48 Lex in New York City. I redeemed 15k points for a Studio King room, which retail price at the time of booking was in the mid-400's per night :eek: I arrived LGA around 9:30 or so, at which point it was pouring rain in the city. I decided to cab it - cost me around $32 plus tip to get to the hotel.

The hotel
    Unlike Andaz 5th Avenue, there is a conspicuous sign of the hotel on the 48th street side. The entrance, however, is pretty subtle and not at all indicative of a high-end hotel. No bellman, no doorman, nobody. In fact, there were a couple of workers with industrial-sized vacuum cleaner blocking the entryway as I arrived. There is a very short hallway leading to a set of two elevators and a desk. The check-in desk is set up very similarly to the ones at Andaz. A couple of laptops with hosts roaming around. Two notable differences are simply the lack of beverage/coffee offer upon arrival and the sofa to lounge on while being checked-in. Also note that the noise level in the lobby was very disturbing. The noise mix of the industrial-sized vacuum cleaner as mentioned above and the noise from The Lexington Brass, which is located next to the lobby separated by a thin curtain, were awful.

I was checked-in promptly, and was assigned room 2006, a studio king. No offer or mention of an upgrade, though I was asked for my amenity preference. Amenities are similar to the ones at other Hyatts. I chose 1W as usual. The host insisted that she took me to my room, which I obliged. There were only five other rooms on the 20th floor (out of 22 floors, I think).

The room
    is very small. Probably about half the size of Andaz King at Andaz Wall Street, though probably just a tad smaller to the Andaz King at Andaz 5th Avenue. It is facing the Intercontinental across the street (they appear to have a small garden on their rooftop, as visible from my window!). Bathroom is shower only and doesn't look quite well-appointed for a Hyatt hotel. Amenities are by Warren-Tricomi. Smells vanilla-ey, but I like it (though I like Bigelow better!). Room was already turned down upon my arrival. There's a geneva lab stereo system on one side table, phone on the other. Fridge was fully-stocked and there were a broad variety of wine on the shelf. The host stated: "I hate to say this, since you are used to staying at Andaz, but unfortunately these stuff are not free!". There is also a microwave, dishwasher, and a safe deposit box in the room.

The Lexicon Lounge
    is located on the 2nd floor of the hotel. It is accessible 24/7 and they serve complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. The area is large enough for maybe 50 people with different seating areas. I was informed that unlike at Andaz, wine is NOT complimentary 48 Lex. I didn't get to check out the menu.

The Gym
    is located in the basement level, and it is very tiny. There are two separate rooms located across the hallway from each other. One is called "the cardio" which has several treadmill/elliptical machines. I didn't go to the other one, but I'm guessing that's where all the weights are located. FYI, there was no disinfectant in the gym area. Bring your own sanitizer.

Restaurant / breakfast
    Complimentary diamond breakfast consists of two eggs, bacon or sausage, juice/coffee. I'm serious. It's even listed as so on the letter provided to me at check-in. Upon inquiry, I was offered $20 off the bill, since I mentioned that I'm a vegetarian. Again, not too impressed. Food was quite good, service was prompt and attentive, it was overpriced but then again it is Manhattan. Ambiant feels more like a 24/7 diner. Again, not too impressed, but I'll live.

Check-out
    was prompt. There was a list laying on the desk in the open while I was being checked-out. Not sure if it was the overall guest list, diamond guest only, or perhaps list of guests who are checking-out that day. My name was one of the three guests listed on the sheet. The host initialed her name next to my name after my check-out was processed. Internet charge and $20 off breakfast was taken care of, though I had to ask for the $20 off. The host carried my luggage and hailed a cab for me. Very nice guy. Points did not post and had to call GP to be posted manually.

Conclusion
    An okay hotel for 15k GP points, but if you want the "feel" of a full service Hyatt hotel, I recommend either Andaz 5th or Andaz Wall Street. Just hoping that the kinks are due to the fact this hotel just recently opened a month or so ago. I'll be returning next week - this time booked in a Lexington Studio Suite. Will report then :)

gleff, uggboy, OCP and 2 others like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed review. Looks like I will be better off sticking to the Andaz properties.

uggboy and theskyflyer like this.
  3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts exactly!

uggboy likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ace in the hole at this hotel is next door...Avra. Avra is a Greek seafood restaurant - and is one of the most popular seafood restaurants in the city. Even on a rainy Monday night, you'll need reservations.

If you have an opening in your schedule for lunch or dinner - and like fish - Avra is a sure thing. As long as you call a day in advance (212-759-8550), you'll have no problem getting a booking.

Despite the challenges cited in the original review, if you need to stay in east midtown north of 42nd street, this Hyatt is going to be one of your better choices below $500 a night.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Andaz is 10 blocks away. Depending on what your schedule is like, that could be a material difference in location.

6. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently completed a one-night stay in a Corner suite (upgraded) and was underwhelmed by this property. Yes, it's fairly new and in a great location but the good news ends there. The only common area to speak of in the hotel in the second floor Lexicon Lounge which contains a few high tables and chairs, sectional and a few more seats. The "refreshments available throughout the day" consisted of mediocre Espresso drinks, still and sparkling water from tap, and Mighty Leaf assorted teas. The only snacks were mini breakfast pastries in the early morning, hard pretzels and cookies in the afternoon, and apparently they did have cheese in the evening to go with wine for purchase.

The staff really didn't seem to be with it. They had trouble processing my credit card and asked me twice while checking in to verify my departure date. Unless you're staying here to redeem points or your Chase anniversary night as this is the only category 4 property in NYC, I'd advise either Andaz properties where I've had much better experiences.

7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody stayed at this property recently? any improvements? Do Diamonds get a full breakfast now?

8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about now? have a stay in a couple of weeks and wondering? Andaz 5th was 2x the cost.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed there in the past 6 months but had a stay there late last year that was fine. Nice property. I also just got back from a weekend stay at Hyatt Union Square which we loved.

TAHKUCT and ballardFlyer like this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you!