Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is half as bad as they're predicting, I wouldn't wanna be anywhere near an airport from this Sunday until the end of the week, so good luck to those that need to travel around that time... :)

Just as with Isaac, Google has a new crisis map up and running complete with layers for forecasts, public alerts, evacuation routes, etc.

http://google.org/crisismap/sandy-2012

It can be slow to load at times as people continue to freak out, but hopefully that's just temporary. :)

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying out to SFO tomorrow, back to BOS Monday (hopefully).

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MTA says it's likely they will shut down subway service tomorrow (Sunday) if winds exceed 39mph. That is expected to happen around 7pm, so if you're in town and you don't wanna get stranded, I would suggest you make plans accordingly. :)

The emergency plan also calls for the closure of bridges if winds exceed 60mph, so driving around is probably going to be difficult.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I moved my Tuesday mileage run up to today. Too good a deal to just skip the flights and get a refund. I should be back in NYC around 9am with plenty of time to further assess things and finish provisioning the home.

I hope.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea... plenty of people complaining on twitter that United has started proactively cancelling Monday flights to/from NYC/BOS.

Although it might be an excellent time to go on a bump run early next week... I'm sure they will be looking for volunteers for days. :)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Bump run would be fun, but I actually expect that I'm going to have work to do at some point during the week. This was the smart move for me, even if it means not getting the TCV.

Redeye looks to be full but not sure if it is oversold. There's a less good redeye (via ORD) I could probably take but dunno if they're soliciting. Probably time to head over to the gate.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Water levels are high in NYC this morning, and we're 12 hours or so from the storm actually getting here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice. I have been watching channels 4 an 7 all day. This just happened in my parent's yard.

image-4135881052.jpg

image-1979174907.jpg

image-3044664125.jpg

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like it was as bad as expected for low-lying areas, and the folks on the evacuation zone (A) and Brooklyn close to the water got hit pretty hard.

The NY harbor buoy reported a wave height of 32+ feet, where it's usually 16 feet or so, so there was plenty of water moving around. Power was shut off on purpose to parts of lower Manhattan, but the reports of the island being "mostly without power" or under 3 feet of water are completely false. :)

Although I have (hard-headed) friends in the Rockaways and near JFK that were flooded and had to evacuate at the last minute. Plenty of people with cars being totaled and flooded basements, and there are fires in Brooklyn/Queens that are allowed to burn because FDNY can't confirm that the power is out -- and nobody wants to go fight a fire that has electricity and water on its side. :)

Overall a complete mess, but I'm glad that they took the precautions they did to keep people from moving around too much. If people had not been persuaded to stay home it could have been much worse -- I personally know a lot of people that didn't think it was going to be all that bad as late as noon Monday, then got a pretty solid reality check.

Not sure the situation at the airports as far as flooding or equipment damage (both JFK and LGA had a good deal of water covering the runways). As of right now the FAA is still not listing a time when any of the area airports will reopen, so it's definitely going to be a mess for a few days.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The facade slid off a building around the corner from me last night. Someone got video of it:

A couple shots I took around 5pm yesterday at Hudson River Park near 12th Street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water made it in to 10th Avenue but not worse than that in my neighborhood.

viguera likes this.