Hurricane Sandy Scheduling Concerns

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Oct 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that many here are affected by the many cancelations on the east coast. Until today, united.com has been saying that EWR could be impacted through 10/31. I now see that they have extended that to 11/1. I have a connection at EWR on 11/1, but the flight still shows on my schedule, they are still offering it as a bookable route and I have received no notice from UA regarding a cancelation.

The last thing I want to do is tie up an agent when many are in real jams that affect them right now, but I also don't want to wait and lose the ability to rebook a different route. I am scheduled to arrive at SJO on 11/1, and I have Taca LifeMiles-paid flight out of SJO to BOG on 11/2. I also have to be in SJO by 11/1 to make payroll, or I'm going to have some very disappointed (or worse) employees. In other words, I can't skip SJO and go straight to BOG.

All things considered, just looking for some feedback from the pros here on whether I should call now or wait. Looks to me like both have potentially negative results, one for those now trying to rebook and the other for me trying to meet my extremely important scheduling requirement. Quite an unusual position I'm in.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    After re-reading my own post, I decided the consequences of missing the ability to fly to SJO on Thursday are just too great for me to risk it, so I called. Less than one minute on hold, and the agent said I was wise to be proactive. I'm now rebooked through Houston, albeit a 5:44 AM departure ::heavy sigh::.

The decision was aided by my attempts to check alternates, and availability kept changing. I found a connection through MIA to Copa, but upon refreshing, it disappeared. A connection through Orlando came up, then stuck on trying to check seat availability, then disappeared when refreshed. It looked like too many other people were NOT waiting, and that I might get stuck here if I didn't act.

I got my confirmation via email, but oddly I can't get on united.com on my laptop. It keeps taking me to mobile.united.com. I can't log in there, and the link to the "real" page is trying, but not loading. The united app on my iPhone does show the change as confirmed. I think they are overloaded, but they sure have plenty of staff - at least to help 1Ks.

Best of luck to those of you in similar situations. I hope my experience helps someone else figure out what to do and when to do it.

HiIslands, estnet and desamo like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you got it all rebooked, though that schedule does suck. Better to be sure, though.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone who can avoid NYC for the remainder of the week should absolutely do so without any hesitation.

6. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My flight out of JFK tomorrow on AA is cancelled. I am still planning on flying out tomorrow, if the airport reopens then I am getting on a plane!

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's no-shows and I'm sure there will be plenty then you're all set as long as JFK is running and the equipment is in place.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had the same problem of uA.bomb taking me to the mobile site whenever I use any tablet. I think using the extension ual.com/web/en-us Worked to to get me to the normal page, but I'd never had the problem on my laptop.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  10. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This must not have been a good day to travel

[​IMG]

12. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless it is a seaplane out of LGA
    [​IMG]

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But there is no infrastructure in NYC to accept them when they arrive.

I'm hearing that UA is planning something similar in EWR today, though some passengers may be traveling. Story has it that United expects to start bringing up to 77 planes in to EWR today. Possibly 36 departures. No UAX. Maybe ps ex-JFK, too.

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK most if not all the International (TransAtlantic) flights are enroute to EWR this afternoon as scheduled.