I'm sure that many here are affected by the many cancelations on the east coast. Until today, united.com has been saying that EWR could be impacted through 10/31. I now see that they have extended that to 11/1. I have a connection at EWR on 11/1, but the flight still shows on my schedule, they are still offering it as a bookable route and I have received no notice from UA regarding a cancelation. The last thing I want to do is tie up an agent when many are in real jams that affect them right now, but I also don't want to wait and lose the ability to rebook a different route. I am scheduled to arrive at SJO on 11/1, and I have Taca LifeMiles-paid flight out of SJO to BOG on 11/2. I also have to be in SJO by 11/1 to make payroll, or I'm going to have some very disappointed (or worse) employees. In other words, I can't skip SJO and go straight to BOG. All things considered, just looking for some feedback from the pros here on whether I should call now or wait. Looks to me like both have potentially negative results, one for those now trying to rebook and the other for me trying to meet my extremely important scheduling requirement. Quite an unusual position I'm in.