Hung Reply Screen Syndrome Returns? Boardwide?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by lin821, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand we sort of discussed this a while ago, especially during the peak of last PWP, dupe, triple, even multiplied posts turned "out of control."

Well, this just happened to me again with this post in Community Lounge. The reply submission took forever and never finalized. I thought I didn't submit it the 1st time around so hit "Reply to Thread" again. I was asked to wait for like 22 seconds. :(

Before doing anything else for that reply, I decided to check in thread and guess what? It was posted already. I did submit it the 1st time around.

Before this thing escalates and turns south, I just want to double check with the IT staff whether this syndrome has turned into a board-wide issue due to the rise of PWP for Randy's seat.

Is MP not equipped to handle high and demanding traffic? Is this hung reply screen problem bleeding over to different fora and threads from system "overload?"

On a side note, it now will take longer for me to "Like" a post in the new PWP thread. Maybe 1 out of every 4-5 likes. Not sure if this is a bundled package of issues though.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In addition, we just got two consecutive posts with the same post number, although they have different URL's,
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ember-to-remember.23280/page-1084#post-993972
    and
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ember-to-remember.23280/page-1084#post-993973

The FL*2 lounge is starting to get the hangs and delays, and it's around 50k posts, so these problems are showing up earlier than they used to (we had earlier pegged them to 62k posts and 2500 pages). There is a major weakness in the system that we all spotted many months ago, it needs to become a priority.

[​IMG]

lin821 likes this.
  3. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    The symptoms you describe can also be related to a network or internet connection issue on your end, as of yet I haven't been able to duplicate any problems with the thread you are referring to, though we will be looking more closely. If anyone else is having that trouble with that thread (or others in the same way lin is describing) please do share here.

Gargoyle and lin821 like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yup, we broke the server. Three posts numbered 35001 in the Do thread. I hope the million count didn't get corrupted! :p

[​IMG]

lin821 likes this.
  5. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, no, that's not a news any winner would like to hear! :eek:

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I thought about the connection from my end, Tim. But I'd been having no issue around the same minute posting in different threads. So I thought the possibility of my ISP interference is quite low. That's why I immediately started this report thread to give you guys a headsup, in case it was a sign of something "big" coming, so you guys may have the timeframe and problem post/s.

The thing is it was the 1st time I ever had that hung screen in Community Lounge since the last PWP. I wasn't expecting it in threads other than PWP ones to be honest, and I wasn't able to duplicate the same problem since.

I just hope it's not a boardwide symptom. Unless you guys can really nail it down to say size of thread and/or posts in thread or something that trigger this sort of abnormal behavior, it's just a ticking bomb. I still remember how "unpleasant" an experience it was when it occurred during last PWP.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    No, that doesn't effect overall post count. The root of the bug is when two or more posts are timestamped identically in a single thread they are erroneously given the same thread count number. That thread post number is only relevant for display purposes in the effected thread and isn't actually stored in the database or used on the back end of the site in any way. So, while odd for sure, those multi-posts of the same in post count in thread are not harmful at all. :)

I do expect that there will be a fix to alleviate this problem in the not too distant future as well. Thanks.

lin821 and dmel like this.