Huge hike in carry-ons clogging airport security

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/31/2143870/huge-hike-in-carry-ons-clogging.html

Airlines’ increased fees for checked baggage has led to an increase in carry-on baggage, which means longer lines and more items to screen at security checkpoints.

The price of checking a suitcase on an airplane — $15 to $40 a bag — has added up to more than $6 billion in revenue for U.S. airlines in the past four years, according to Transportation Department statistics. The fees have also led to an increased number of bags being carried onto airplanes.

2. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the annoying part. The main reason I keep my status now is so I can board early enough to have my 1 small carry-on close by, without having to stow it under the seat in front of me. Charging for every checked bag just means people try to bring full-size suitcases into the cabin.

They should have kept the first checked bag free and started charging for every carry-on over the size limit. That would make it a lot easier for those of us who try to follow the rules.

sobore likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It also means fewer checked bags, and less pressure on the checked baggage screening systems. TSA should redeploy TSOs accordingly.

Overhead space is indeed an issue, both a function of folks bringing more onto the aircraft but also (largely?) due to really really full planes.

sobore likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. As volume decreases in one area and increases in another, staff accordingly to minimize impact.