Hua Hin or Pattaya?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by KLA, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning an quick trip to Bangkok in July and want to spend 2 nights outside the city (without adding another flight). The plan is just to lay on the beach or by the pool and relax most of the time, probably not a lot/any site-seeing.

Been reading all the the reviews on the Hyatt & Sheraton in Hua Hin and the Sheraton Pattaya. Seems like Hua Hin might be a little nicer, but it's also an hour or two farther. Have Starwood Plat and Hyatt Diamond status. Thoughts on which might offer the best overall experience for a quick getaway?

uggboy, Kalboz and gleff like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sounds like a great respite from a very hot, muggly Bangkok in July!!

Indeed, Pattaya is much closer. The Sheraton is an enclave mostly away from the prostitution et al in the surrounding town. The rooms are nice but there's not much in the way of suites.

When I stayed there I had an ocean view deluxe pavillion room which was really nice. It was a Platinum upgrade -- but before they introduced suite night awards. I don't know the property's current view on upgrades (though the room type should be eligible) and July is low season so I'd guess occupancy shouldn't be too high.

The property is lovely, fairly small (compact), and you can't see it from the photos on the website but wedged in between larger buildings -- if you look straight ahead you see nothing but Gulf but you can see other buildings, say if you're in the pool and looking up!

I haven't been to Hua Hin so can't comment, though I've read about both the Sheraton and the Hyatt there. A couple of years I had planned to stay at the Sheraton but they asked me not to (!) in order to have the whole hotel taken over by a group that wanted to book the property for a wedding. With a ton of concessions I wound up at the Westin in Phuket instead.

Seems very low-key, and the Sheraton probably a bit more family-oriented. But as I say I haven't been -- it's a good long drive from Bangkok!

uggboy, Kalboz and KLA like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    HuaHin > Pattaya IMO. The city is just much more appealing unless you are there to party.
    I havent stayed @ either Hyatt/SPG in HH; my aunt took me a few years ago (2006?) but i dont recall where (just know it wasnt Hyatt/SPG).

uggboy, KLA, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No question if I wanted to go off property I'd pick Hua Hin, but since I haven't been to Hua Hin I can't say whether just saying ON PROPERTY would be better there or not -- and better enough to justify the long car ride?

uggboy, KLA and Kalboz like this.
  5. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I would not even consider those two cities as a choice. If you are looking for bars, massage parlors and street girls, then Pattaya would be your place to be.

If you are looking for a more family friendly location - then Hua Hin. Its nice - but not as nice as some of the awesome Thia beach resots.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Hua Hin by a mile! Platinum treatment is outstanding, not a great beach but you'll probably be upgraded to an ocean front suite where you can relax and look out over the ocean from your own veranda. It's only a 2.5 hour trip by bus or car (the Sheraton is btwn Cha Am and Hua Hin). the pool is amazing and there are plenty of places to eat on site if you wish.
    They often have large weddings there (when they warned Gleff that he wouldn't have the tranquility he wanted b/c of such an event during his planned stay), but do post the dates on the website and the beauty of the flowers and decorations (if you like that sort of thing) is well worth a bit of disturbance , but I don't think they do much of that in the summer.
    The Hyatt is about another 30 minute drive (at the south end of HH) and has a much nicer beach, but rooms aren't nearly as nice and it has a very different (almost corporate to me) feel. YMMV

KLA, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are planning to just stay with the confines of your hotel resort and vegetate by the pool for two days, I'd suggest going to the closest destination of the two, Pattaya. But the waters off main Pattaya bay are polluted and as such not swimmable. AFAIK, the SGS former hotel manager, Tomo Kuriyama, is the current GM of the Sheraton Pattaya.
    [​IMG]
    Pattaya Beach
    The oldest resort town in the Kingdom, Hua Hin, on the other hand, has 5 kilometers of uninterrupted sandy beaches and clear waters ideal for swimming and other water sports. Also, Hua Hin northern end houses the Royal summer palace, monkey temple mount at its southern end, and other landmark historical palaces and waterfalls nearby. Further, Hua Hin has large day and night markets filled with food stalls and other shops, in addition to a huge shopping mall.
    [​IMG]
    Hua Hin Beach from the former Marriott Resort & Spa
    [​IMG]
    Historical Centara Grande Hua Hin (former Sofitel) featured in many movies
    [​IMG]
    Hua Hin from the monkey temple mount
    [​IMG]
    The beach from the Hyatt Regency Hua Hin

IDGflygirl, KLA, anileze and 4 others like this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Great answer, Kalboz!

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Aren't there only like 8 of those suites on property? Do Platinums regularly get them even when not using a Suite Night Award?

KLA, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hua Hin is worth the extra distance in my opinion. I haven't been to Pattaya in six years now, but the last time I was there it was quite seedy and my 17 year old son was constantly approached by prostitutes.

uggboy, edekba and Kalboz like this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was there, I was around that age too. I too was approached and they weren't even all females!

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, and although I never visited there, I believe that one shouldn't be afraid to go to Pattaya (or Bangla Road at Patong Beach, if you are in Phuket). Sure, it is the tourist-sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women (the OP is female) and couples and it has good cheap hotels, shopping, and food. Not a bad place to start off for “All points East” - Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Khao Yai or Cambodia.
    [​IMG]

uggboy, marcwint55, KLA and 3 others like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have my personal favorite weekend escapes which are non partying, low key, kindle reading, kind of places - Koh Si Chang and Kanchanaburi. Last time, I just went to agoda.com and booked on Friday through Sunday.

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I think they do, of course YMMV. It is not a huge hotel and there are many other suites - on the lagoon, some with an angled view of the ocean and some people prefer the lagoon suites to the ocean facing.
    I was always upgraded to a suite after my first visit (don't think I was Platinum then, can't remember) and I have never used a suite night award there:) Of course, I may just have been lucky, but every other Plat I've met there (usually during lounge happy hour) have raved about the treatment they received.​

uggboy, marcwint55, KLA and 1 other person like this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but one image that I will never forget @ Pattaya is the row of prostitutes there. I see you're from SoCal; so you know Santa Monica Pier? Well you know the grassy area that seperate the beach from Ocean Ave. Image that area full of prostitutes ... sorta like Cattle. It was interesting when I saw it (I was 17) but now ... its sad that my people are like that. yeah yeah it happens everywhere etc. But I guess it's just a personal negative thing I have against Pattaya

uggboy, marcwint55, anileze and 2 others like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, KLA, marcwint55 and 1 other person like this.
  17. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, wonder if Pattaya is hurting? Wish they'd do that to Hua Hin! There is a paid shuttle to HH from the Westin but free would be nicer.

uggboy, Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean the Westin Grande Sukhumvit to the Sheraton Hua Hin?

... and, congratulations on hitting the 1000 posts! :)
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  19. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sorry for the abbreviations. Thought I was at 999, but guess I posted more than I thought. Thanks, now I'm a 1k for real (shouldn't Ua 1k be 100k?)

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't be sorry, I was just trying to get you to answer ... it takes around an hour or so to turn Gold :)

uggboy and estnet like this.
  21. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I got a "postmember" notice - whatever that is - so we'll see...... you've got my hopes up;)

The shuttle is (or was, seem to go up 50 baht every 6 months or so) 700 baht/pp, so it's good for one, but for 2 or more you can probably get a taxi (if you bargian well) and go at whatever time you like.

BTW - there is a new bus service from BKK to Hua Hin - but it goes to the middle of HH and won't stop in front of the Sheraton (which is about 20 minutes before), unlike the regular buses that leave from the southern bus terminal that will drop you right at the entrance on request.

22. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I

Thanks Kalboz! I had seen the paid shuttles to Hua Hin but hadn't seen this. And I was already planning on staying at SGS...

23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep us posted of your choice, and, how did it all work out for you. :)

uggboy likes this.
  24. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the delay in updating you all! I wound up going with Pattaya. Taking advantage of the shuttle was more complicated/expensive than I thought as only bookings made at the best daily rate qualified. But it worked out, we still saved $50 and on the trip from the SGS they upgraded us from a van to a Mercedes because there was only two of us. :)

I preferred getting an ocean view to being upgraded to a garden pavillion room which would have been larger, but potentially less scenic, and it was definitely worth it.
    Copy of SAM_0102.jpg

Property is lovely, although a little old. You do have to take lots of stairs to get almost anywhere. Water is, as Kalboz noted, pretty polluted but the fake beach was nice and the pools were fantastic.

Copy of SAM_0107.jpg

Copy of SAM_0108.jpg

Copy of SAM_0155.jpg

Only there two nights so never left the property. Was definitely a relaxing way to start the vacation! And at $110 a night, definitely a bargain. Thank you to everyone for their suggestions and input!

Attached Files:

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.