HTC One or Samsung Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by garyst16, May 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am due for an upgrade and have been reading reviews on both of these devices and it seems that depending on the author, either one could be the better smart phone. I favor Android so an Apple device is out of the question.

Does anyone have either of these and if so, did you compare the two prior to making your decision? Can you share your thoughts?

Gaucho likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally would go for the HTC One. The specs are similar and it's a metal body so you get a more premium feel, plus there are no buttons on the face (which I hate).

It's a completely different experience though, since both manufacturers add their own flavor of stuff on top of the OS.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    a friend of mine went through the same decision making. His outcome was HTC one. #1 Reason ... Metal body vs non metal body. #2 ... Becuz he hates Samsung ( he got burned with android updates from Samsung in the past)

Gaucho, Tenmoc and garyst16 like this.
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Echo everyone else. HTC one for the metal body.

Also, the low light camera is a big differentiator.

Lots of gimmicky features on the Samsung that most do not need.

Gaucho and garyst16 like this.
  5. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Warning: This is slightly long because I was in the same spot as you a few weeks ago. Now I have an S4 and a friend of mine has the HTC One so I've been able to compare them a bit.

So, in the end I ultimately went with the S4 because of the expandable memory (I stuck a 64 gb card in it). I like having all my music on the device and not having to need wifi or eat up data with it. I also have a spare battery for when I travel to places lacking in the outlet department.

That said, they're both great phones. The OS on both are a little different, so if you have a chance to play with them a bit in the store you should do that.

I actually use a few of the gimmicky features on the S4... mostly the camera modes which I make some really cool pictures with without having to edit. The HTC One seems a little overrated in regards to the low light, but it is slightly better than the S4 but lacks a bit in detail compared to it. Can't have everything in a camera phone I suppose.

I'm in the camp of not caring about the materials used on the outside of the phone, so the metal body didn't phase me. I do know a lot of people care about that though, but that's all your preferences. I got the S-View cover for my Galaxy, which I dig.

If you REALLY like Android, you can go with the Nexus 4 which is Android without all the extras/bloat Samsung and HTC throws on their phones.

uggboy and Gaucho like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    But N4 has no LTE

Gaucho, viguera and MegaDont like this.
  7. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, very true. I forgot about that downside.

Gaucho and edekba like this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    S4 has a fully stock google edition coming out in a week or two. So no need for the N4 now at this point.

I am debating the two myself now. I am leaning s4 though as battery changes are more important to me than a camera.

Still rocking my vz gnex with shiny rom 4.2.2 on it but giving serious thought about switching to tmo for the ability to travel with an android phone.

Regarding the metal body of the ONE, does it cut down on radio reception the way the transformer prime (tf201) tablet did?

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    He'll get burned with updates from HTC as well.

The only way to get timely updates is to use a stock nexus like device or custom rom.

viguera, Gaucho and edekba like this.
  10. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm waiting for July when the announcement is expected to be made on the new "X" phone from Motorola. Just trying to keep my Droid2Global wheezing along until then.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  11. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made this tough decision a few weeks ago...and went with the Samsung Galaxy S4. I've been loyal to HTC for the last few years, but felt the G4 was packed with more innovation than the One. The metallic accents on the One are nice, but I keep my phone in a clear gel case...and the "feel" is less important to me since I'll be holding the case more so than the naked phone itself. Plus the Galaxy has the chrome sides, which pop nicely even with the clear case on.

I've had it for nearly a month and have zero regrets. And don't miss my old HTC.

Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great thread.... Ive ordered an Iphone 5 but need to decide on which will be my second phone. Im leaning for the HTC One at this point... but still haven't decided 100%.

Keep those opinions and posts coming !!!!

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Yep... if it's not the manufacturer it's the carrier. I bit the bullet and went custom on my Galaxy Nexus and I couldn't be happier. I thought at first the storage was going to be an issue but I'm nowhere near 25% of the onboard memory used so I think it's one of those things that you worry about for no reason.

My contract with Verizon is up in 2 weeks, and I haven't decided if I'm going to wait or upgrade. My phone right now serves me well (especially with the latest updates via the xda guys), so I don't *need* to upgrade, and I might just wait until whatever Google/Moto release later on this year (and the Samsung announcement scheduled for 6/20).

Personally I don't use a case (I figure it detracts from having a nice looking phone in the first place) and just try not to drop my rather fragile $700 piece of hardware. I also think at this point after using my Nexus that physical buttons are a minus, so if I had to go somewhere I'd go with the HTC One because of the premium feel and lack of buttons. The S4 is a nice phone though regardless.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:

If I were as "brave" as you, I too would do without a case... but I have dropped my phone a few times and am so thankful that I had a good case to protect my investment...

Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I used to have bulky and incredibly effective Speck and Otter cases for my iPhones, until I went "commando" for a couple of weeks and realized how well the phones fit in your hand and how good they look -- not to mention that they feel really nice after wearing the bulk of a big case.

I dread -- DREAD -- dropping my phone, and I've had a few close calls, but I can't bring myself to put back on a case anymore.

Tenmoc and garyst16 like this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had my GNex without a case since thursday because i was using the car dock for navigating some new places. I have a love the thin rubber like cruzerlite cases with the android guy on the back. But of course all cases have to come off to fit in the car dock even after the shaving down to make the VZ version fit the gsm dock.

I am still on contract until december i think, although the upgrade should be coming soon. I just really don't know if i want to stay on VZ.

Regarding the physical buttons, that I can agree is annoying at best and down right wrong at other times. I am so used to youtube and nbcsports and such going true full screen. plus, the soft buttons means I can disable them if i wanted to go with a gesture based navigation system or the like.

that said, for VZ, it has come out that the S4 will be OTA mod to AWS when they turn it on. I know I know, dont rely on a promise of an OTA from VZ, but just putting it out there.

viguera likes this.
  17. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and edekba like this.
  19. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the GN verizon? I think all the Google Play phones are GSM.

N4 for $349; noLTE/16GB
    S4 for $649; LTE/16GB
    H1 for $599; LTE/32GB

I don't see why people would get the S4 > H1 now.

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

There's an HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus for AT&T / T-Mobile.

Tenmoc and edekba like this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    N4 shouldn't be part of this conversation any longer. Except for price point.

To me, the N4 is a 1 year use phone at this point where the s4 and One at 2 year use phones.

I am honestly waiting on the moto x now. we'll see what that really is like before i decide to move off of VZ or not.

edekba likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree regarding One vs S4 now.

Galaxy Nexus has 3 variations. GSM/HSPA, a sprint one and the VZ one.

Of course batteries/etc are not compatible among the three models and is why i never picked up a GNex as a gsm travel phone.

edekba likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I have the GSM/HSPA version, courtesy of Google at the 2012 I/O conference.

viguera and edekba like this.
  24. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree, i think the N4 is a great travel phone. Unlocked GSM, pure google and yet "cheap"

viguera and Tenmoc like this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I think if you're going with a carrier subsidy, you might as well go for a new S4 or HTC One. If you don't mind doing the legwork however, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an S3, a Nexus 4 or Galaxy Nexus.

Granted the new phones look better on paper because of the benchmarks, but at the end of the day, for every day use, there's absolutely nothing wrong with one of the older devices. If you're one of the tinkering types then the Nexus phones are actually better and can be configured to have every single feature that the new phones have, and at times newer / better stuff.

IDGflygirl, edekba and Tenmoc like this.