HR Hakone (Gora, Japan)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by RichardInSF, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be staying at this hotel for the second time in about 6 weeks. It is located near the "town" of Gora in the Hakone area foothills. It's a lovely hotel, with large rooms(a standard room is on the order of 60sqmt), an onsen (indoors, segregated by sex), and a restaurant which serves either French or Japanese cuisine. There is also an inviting lobby with a pit fireplace. Adjacent to the onsen area is a spa where general spa services are available; I haven't tried any of these.

Some rooms have a view of Mt. Fuji but I wouldn't pay a large premium to get one as Mt. Fuji is very rarely visible from behind the clouds.

There are a few different ways to get to the hotel from Odawara. One is to take the train to Gora and then either take a taxi to the hotel or ride the cog railroad to the 4th stop, from where it's about a 5 minute walok. Another is to use the few shuttle from Odawara that the hotel runs a few times a day.

Gora (and Hakone in general) is a vacation area and while there are a number of hotels adjacent to the Hyatt, there are few restaurants within walking distance.

The GM of the hotel received her training at the PH Tokyo and she knows her stuff. As a result the staff is very welcoming and willing to help. You'll have a fine stay at this hotel.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  2. gates_2
    Original Member

gates_2 Active Member

Status Points:
    looking forward to the review! Please take many pictures!

3. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed our stay here last year. As a Diamond we got upgraded to one of their suites and it was an award stay!

4. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Want to try this place. Always stayed at a Ryokan when visiting Hakone. How is the onsen / ofuro here?

5. theskyflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is an indoor onsen, separated by sex. Some people complain that it's not located outdoors, but it was fine for me. The surrounding towns are really charming and I would not hesitate to go back to HR if I go to Hakone again.

LAXNRT likes this.
  6. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Will try it out in a couple weeks.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've only been to Japan once and spent most of my time in the big cities (Tokyo, Osaka/Kyoto, Hiroshima), relying on public transportation. Needless to say, I loved it and would love to go back to see more of the country (and countryside). How do you get around to explore the surrounding towns? Is there convenient public transportation or do you rent a car?

theskyflyer likes this.
  8. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is normally very convenient public transport, even in the country side. Either train or bus are very clean and convenient. Hakone is nice but I would also suggest to check out the Izu peninsula, one of my favourite places in Japan. I liked it so much I bought a house in the south of Izu.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I have added this to my "research for future trips" to-do list.

LAXNRT likes this.
  10. theskyflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We traveled to Hakone from Osaka, then continued to Tokyo. During our 3 days there we took a combination of complimentary Hyatt shuttle bus (it picks us up at Odawara), buses, cable cars, ropeways and pirate ship!

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some portions of Japan where you really want to have a rental car, but Hakone is not one of them. There is an extensive transportation network in Hakone consisting of trains, cog railways, gondolas, busses, and imitation pirate ships (yes, imitation pirate ships!). Most folks get an Odakyu "free pass" -- which is not free -- that covers all of them.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. DHahn
    Original Member

DHahn Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

I had 2 night stay at HR Hakone in earlier this month after 3 night at GH Tokyo. It was nice relaxing stay and we enjoyed the onsen. I took the hotel's shuttle from/to Odawara station. I used frontoffice.hakhr@hyatt.com to make the shuttle reservation. The hotel staffs were very nice and friendly. They explained us about onsen attires and etiquette as it was our first time with onsen. I used the upgrade suite certificate on a Japan promotion rate (50% off second night). The breakfast was excellent with both Japanese and western selections. Due to our schedule and cost, we didn't try the hotel restaurants. However we ate at the lounge.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dshahn96/HRHakone# Sorry about the pictures as they look blur and I started having focus issues with the camera all the sudden. :mad:

13. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a few points of information that haven't been mentioned here, based on my stay last year:
    • There is no Regency Club. Diamonds get free breakfast in the restaurant.
    • There are nightly drinks (juice and alcoholic) offered in the lounge for all staying guests, but no canapes.
    • In addition to pajamas for your room, there are yukata (kimono) and hanten (half coat) that you can wear throughout the hotel, even in the bar/restaurant.
    • If you are allergic to dogs, please note that this is a dog friendly hotel. HR Hakone even employs its own dog as a greeter!
    • The shuttle bus will take you to/from Gora station on a request basis. You may need to call the hotel from Gora station to get the shuttle bus to come.
    If you're interested, I have some information/pictures on making the trip from Shinjuku to Gora on my site.