HR Greenwich and pretty impressive customer service

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Singapore Flyer, Nov 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed here twice now. Once on a AAA rate and another on a Hyatt 48 hour sale. Total for both was less $125ai, but I used my SPG Business card to get another 5% discount. The lounge is closed, so I got the 2500 points on top of the 1000 points for my diamond amenity.

It is a very nice business hotel that runs a lot of weekend functions - weddings, conferences, etc. The rates do dip down to about $109 before tax. The parking is now free on most weekends and basically on honor system. They are very proactive with emails before your stay. There is always FD manager or assistant manager at the desk.

My first stay wasn't anything special as I asked for a specific room so I didn't get an upgrade. The second time, I used one of my expiring certs and got upgraded to a King+parlor for my suite. It was a great space for my kids and sister's kids. It was a cousin outing at the pool. The pool has flotation devices for free - kids loved it, jacuzzi, decent gym and not sure about the spa treatments since i didn't use. The breakfast is at Winfield's. I should mention that the HR Greenwich has an outdoor inside feel. The rooms are on the outside and the interior is covered in glass with a lot of greenery inside with a little creek running through it.

This last time when we received the room, we checked in early. The parlor section of the suite wasn't ready, but they said that we could check into the other room. We went up and the key wouldn't work, but housekeeping let us in as they were cleaning the parlor. I went down and told the front desk, they said they would send an engineer up. He came by and said the battery was on the fritz and would replace it and it would work. Came back after swimming and the door still didn't work. I went down again and they said that they would follow up. I forgot to mention that my son while playing with some toys, it dropped and rolled underneath the chaise. He pulled out a wrapper of an adult nature. We played it off, tossed it and told him to wash his hands. :eek:. Went to a dinner and a movie in Stamford. Came back, not working still and they sent another engineer who said that it was because they didn't configure the keys probably for the two rooms on one key. It finally worked. I went to return the other two keys. The FD agent, who was the assistant manager asked how things were going and I mentioned the keys and the wrapper. I swear, I wasn't even thinking about compensation. We loved our room, the kids were happy, sister was impressed and I am thinking this all cost $100 after the discounts. She comped the room and apologized for everything. To say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. :cool:

We'd definitely go back. The breakfast is great, i wouldn't necessary pay the $26 for the buffet, great pool and nice rooms. the last kicker...there are 3 CVS around less than 5 minute drives from the hotel that all carry PP and VRCs. :D hyatt4.jpg Hyatt1.jpg hyatt2.jpg hyatt3.jpg hyatt4.jpg Hyatt1.jpg hyatt2.jpg hyatt3.jpg

dmel, Tenmoc and MX like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice.

I've seen this hotel go down into the 90s at time, which is actually a pretty good rate considering the property.

Of course, you have to want to stay in Greenwhich, which means you have something to do around there. :)

dmel, Tenmoc and Singapore Flyer like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    that was us...it was basically bringing the kids to a pool, catching a movie and such. They love hotels in general, so it see this as a "cheap" stayvacation with cousins. With the free breakfast that we would have easily spent $70-$80 for the two adults and 4 kids, it is almost a wash with the points and such.

dmel, Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to give that a try... I'm about 15 minutes north of Greenwhich and my toddler goes into "hotel mode" very easily :)

dmel, Tenmoc and Singapore Flyer like this.
  5. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    See if you can book the Parlor room...it is a way to get a cheap suite. It is basically a murphy queensized bed with a pull out couch if you can move the coffee table. Never realized how close it is for us. It was barely 35 minutes door to door from Queens without any traffic. Closer than going to my sister's place out in LI with traffic.

dmel, Tenmoc and viguera like this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you liked it. We have been about 9 times this year. Live nearby so on weekends we go when the rate goes to 89 or under. Have paid nearly double for a Sunday night though.

Not fond of breakfast and multiple times have been charged even with the included vouchers.

The staff here is always excellent and room service is good if not pricy.

4000+ points per weekend night stay. Nice.

Singapore Flyer and dmel like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    that happened to me twice too on the charge. Always tell them and it doesn't get charged at check out. Annoying as the waiter even knows we have vouchers and says it won't be charged for the kids. If I see a 89 or under I would book a few towards diamond again especially with the 4k points each time.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Tenmoc likes this.