How's this for United lunacy........

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Apr 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife is flying home from SNA today. SNA-DEN-ORD-GRR.

Already at SNA they are calling for volunteers for DEN-ORD to take bump. Wife of course volunteers. Gate agent says to her: "You have another choice, you can pay $250 to change your flight to go direct to ORD and still get home same time, but that would be in economy and not Y+" (wife has Y+ subscription). Say whaaaa? She volunteers and they want to extort another $250 from her to free up a seat they screwed up and oversold in the first place. Welcome to the new UA?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow... I wonder how many people opt for that because they have no choice and need to arrive at a particular time.

I was surprised to see just how oversold everything seems to be by United. A lot of routes seem to have availability only mid-week. I can understand they plan overselling but some of the stuff is just ridiculous.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    and then ask people to pay for the mistakes the airline made......good deal if you are the airline.....

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good point, they know that some people absolutely have to get there on their original schedule.

5. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, volunteering to get bumped from a flight so that you can assist them in their oversold situation is considered a voluntary change and thus change fees kick in? I never volunteer, so I don't know the rules around that.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they're offering a bump that will delay you or if you prefer, a voluntary change (with fee) to a direct flight that will wind up getting you home at the same time.

sobore, mht_flyer and redwoman like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funky because it looks like only UA938 is full... there's quite a nice list building up but the later flights look ok. Problem is that UA3625 to GRR is already full and building up as well.

8. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so it seems that I have to get out my lawyer and hyper-tuned listening skills when I fly. :rolleyes:

sobore, goalie, viguera and 1 other person like this.
  9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually not surprised that UA is doing this... they seem hell bent on wringing every last penny out of every passenger at every opportunity.

sobore, goalie and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  10. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    So let them IDB people and really pay.

11. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do they ask for volunteers for a segment not even operated at your airport? This doesn't make sense.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes POC (Passenger Operations Control) will send downline messages to stations to help alleviate some overbookings if people are being proactive they see some passengers flying a double connection that could be flying a single connection and request for volunteers at the station to take some load off the hubs.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes no sense to me at at all... Why would anyone agree to be bumped and then turn around and agree to pay money so that they can arrive home at the same time as they would have it they had not agreed to be bumped in the first place? Either I am missing something or UA really thinks that some passengers are stupid enough to actually agree to do this [pay to get home after agreeing to be bumped]...

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't United being depraved but rather an agent that is in dire need of re-education....

adambadam and mht_flyer like this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    She already has a seat on the last ORD-GRR flight which is the one she would get either connecting through DEN or straight SNA-ORD.

16. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    surprised me too!
    usually though they don't hammer you with a fee if you get home at the same time. I've seen it happen if it gets you home sooner. Since turning 1p though it seems like they never charge me for those kind of things. (knocks on wood).

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you mean UA3708 then yeah she should be fine as that's Y29. The one before (UA3625 at 18:36) is showing Y1.

18. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    yep, its 3708.

19. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a flight where they were going to charge me a $75 change fee to go out on the earlier flight. I instead had lunch. When I got to the gate for my flight they were offering $300 because they were oversold on that flight. Not a lot of fore thought.

Lufthansa Flyer and viguera like this.
  20. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, UA's FUD is ridiculous. We really should let them just IDB if they're going to keep up the shenanigans. I never had these problems on the old UA.

21. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I always stand my ground and don't volunteer. If we all do it, it will make things harder for the GAs and they don't really deserve it; their uber-boss does. However, since their management has made it difficult for some employees to learn the new policies, because they've made them so Byzantine, it kind of has to be that way. I'd hate to see passengers being charged for something that they shouldn't be charged for, just because some employees don't know the policies. I imagine it will take a while, but eventually when departure delays increase because people are more reluctant to VDB, management's thinking may change. At least we can hope.

22. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If United keeps that up, the government will force them to cut it out, with heavy handed regulations if need be.

Flyer1976 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  23. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just would tell the gate agent that it will be $500 for me to switch to the NS and then smile nicely at him/her!

24. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get bumped, you should put on the next available option to get you home, regardless of whether it's direct or not. The idea that they would charge to give her the most preferable option is absurd. They oversold a flight and your wife is helping them out.