How wrong can the Travel Channel be about SQ?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by MSPeconomist, Sep 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    While channel surfing for weather, I just caught a segment about SQ in a program that seems to be about luxury travel bargains. The claim is that one should fly SQ in J/C rather than IFC, for existence SIN-SYD RT $3K versus $5K. (I don't know whether these prices are current/accurate.)

The shock to me was the following claims:

Same wine list; they even showed a Singapore Girl pouring Dom to a passenger in what they claimed was a business class seat. (Certainly not true, especially for champagne and the French reds, which are much better in FC.)

Same food. (Caviar in C/J? Not IME. Also BTC on the website gives different choices for the classes, including a different lobster.)

Flat beds in J/C (Depends on the aircraft I guess, but I've never been lucky) but your seat is your bed. (Is this not true in FC except for the old UA IFC with the blocked off seats?)

Same Singapore Girls (This one is true, although slightly more senior and distinctly better service in FC as a general rule.)

If the Travel Channel is going to do programs like this, they should check their facts and get the details right. If anyone has ever travelled much in premium classes, these claims are a joke. The premise might be correct in that for some, the difference between J/C and FC is minor and not worth the price difference, but the claims here are a joke and could lead to great disappointment with SQ, that apparently cooperated with the show by providing aircraft and staff for filming.

2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the Travel Channel is basically trying to dumb it down for the "average" consumer, who is (presumably) someone who doesn't fly with a great degree of frequency and have a plethora of miles in their accounts. I can certainly see that J might be more reasonable for the average joe than F as the gulf between economy and J is probably a bit wider than that between J and F. Most people would be shocked at the service received in J, much less IFC.

I do completely agree with you, though, that they should at least present information accurately when making their case. It seems they altered some facts to prove their point.

3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, for ma and pa kettle, they're probably fine with C as they've probably been stuck in Y their entire life and have no clue on the differences between F/C and will be awestruck by the difference between C/Y.

As far as the rest of us are concerned, we know better and most FT/MP'ers have better places than the travel channel for finding advice on air travel.

4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically... Only the seats are about the same.. At least in F/J 77Ws.. Other than that, there's a difference.. A whole lot of it too...

cennas likes this.
  5. SMK77

SMK77 Active Member

Status Points:
    They must be referring to the 77W aircraft where the difference between Business and First Class is so tiny that the difference in pricing is not justified at all. Seat config is 1-2-1 in both classes of service and the seat pitch in First is a little bit more. Take note that SQ is no longer giving you 2 meters of seat pitch as e.g. NH on their 77W but shortened First Class so that one has to sleep diagonal. Save the money and enjoy Business. I have flown both a couple of times and Business is the best value for money.

General_Flyer likes this.