How would you go from Bangkok to Phuket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by eponymous_coward, Apr 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am idly figuring out how to do that for a trip in early January.

It seems to me the train is a nice option... but the minivan/bus ride AFTER the train... eats a bit into my time. Burning an entire day from 8 in the morning to 10 at night... ouch.

I'm looking at cheap internal flights- TG, PG, OX, FD. OX's safety record scares me. Should it?

I plan on being in one carry-on bag, maybe one backpack that fits under a seat.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take a look at the AirAsia (FD) web site, they have airfares as low as USD $46.00 one way in January 2013 and lots of flights through out the day. They have a really strict carry on rule weight and size, but you should be ok. If you do use them forget about purchasing seat assignment ahead of time or the insurance they flog. I always use AirAisa when I am in Thailand, it's WN like a cattle car but somewhat worse, tighter fit in the seat, absolutely no frills, but they get you there and it's a short flight, they have a good safety record, you will find that TG fares can be much higher

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I fly WN all the time. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you fly WN all the time, then you will feel very much at home on FD:)

eponymous_coward and viguera like this.
  5. aaucello

aaucello Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just came back from Phuket last week. Flew AirAsia from BKK to Phuket... short flight & flys every hour. I believe I paid around $44 or so

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait for Kalboz to tell you what to do. :)

eponymous_coward and Jimgotkp like this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, I am probably going to be carrying on one of these and an Ogio laptop backpack. I suppose if the laptop bag is problematic I could just go one-bag if I had to.

I note that AirAsia has a 7 kilo carryon limit. How strict is that- does all your stuff get weighed? (I've flown on LH with an 8 kilo limit with a week's worth of stuff, though they only weighed my duffel, not my laptop case ;), but 7 kilos is pretty tight for 10 days worth of stuff, even if I'll be wearing shorts a lot.)

I really, really do not like to check luggage. The only time I will is if whatever it is I am lugging is banned from the main cabin (read: booze in a glass bottle). So avoiding that would be pretty helpful.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had Air Asia weigh my backpack and I've seen some pretty hefty carryon's by others, but I've also read about people being charged a lot for checked baggage over what they paid for. Once I was 1 or 2 kg over what I paid for in my checked bag and they just let me take some things from that bag and put it in my carryon (which they did not weigh);) YMMV

eponymous_coward likes this.
  9. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I followed you on FT, & I found your posts so interesting. As I recall last year you did DPS and many other ports, and I thought if you were flying around, it would be cheaper if you can slot it into your itin, to grab one of the LCC outside of Thailand. Flying directly into Phuket are LCC from Singapore, KL, Penang DPS and Hong Kong. just a thought. I don't know who OX is, and that is enough to say, I wouldn't recommend it, cheers

eponymous_coward and iolaire like this.
  10. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amazing prices on AirAsia but compared to flying WN it requires a little more acrobatics and planning, especially on the luggage front. I used to fly them a lot between KUL and SIN or PEN and SIN and eventually switched to Silk Air because it was a bit of hassle. OT but I eventually switched from Silk Air to the luxury coach services and liked them a lot better - business class seats, onboard business lounge, wifi, refreshments and a reasonably good meal. Anyway, try doing a fake booking on the Air Asia website and you'll see what I mean about planning.

eponymous_coward and iolaire like this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the kind words.

OX = Orient Thai.

This is what scares me (Orient Thai was the parent company. I've added emphasis):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Two-GO_Airlines_Flight_269

More than three years after the crash is late 2010-early 2011. :eek:

This sounds interesting, but Bangkok-Phuket is something like a 12-14 hour coach ride. In theory I could do an overnight train to Surat Thani and then a bus ride of a few hours from there.

The plan for now is something like this: a few days in Hong Kong and Bangkok, a few days at the beach in Phuket, a day in Penang, then back to home (with a ~8 hour return stopover in Hong Kong and forced overnight in Vancouver, unless I ditch my last flight to SEA and come home that night). At one point Singapore was in there but the hotel rooms were stupid expensive unless I was in some dump in Geylang- Penang is much more reasonably priced (and PEN is a quicker hop from HKT) and has foodie/cultural mashup stuff comparable to Singapore.

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do have a huge Thailand Branch here on MilePoint! ;)