How would it change your travel patterns, if you knew that you would not attain any AQD targets?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mevlannen, Feb 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at my calendar for the next few months, I observe that, in my now-active retirement, I shall make almost as many air-journeys as I did last year, when I was not yet retired. Hmmm, who'd have thought it?

Based on a very small data-set of AQM/AQD/fare reports, I'm guessing that -- even if I travel 110 AQS this year (nearly all short over-water hops between Salishaan and the Mainland), I won't come within reasonable range of SE AQD (and there's some question as to whether I'd even hit P35 AQD).

Of course, I don't have enough data yet to confirm or reject my unpalatable hypothesis. In a couple of months, I may well have those predictive data.

So, the question of the morning:

How would it change your travel patterns, if you knew that you would not attain any AQD targets?

-----------------------

Note: we already have an active AQD thread, wherein we can choose to report our observations of the AQM/AQD/fare correlations. However, is anybody up for discussing this existential question, here?

Best regards,

Elane
    enjoying that second cup of tea, this morning

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying patterns likely would not change much, but here is what would likely change for me:
    1. Even more AC flights booked in Tango (why pay more?)
    2. Potentially look to move my business (or at least mileage accumulation) to a Star partner with more benign Status rules
    3. Explore other airlines / alliances

As MM we can both rest comfortably knowing that when we do travel on AC/Star at least we'll enjoy lounges and a few other perqs.

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think for me the question is what happens at the end of the year. I imagine the chances are pretty good that I will make E75K, but I doubt my spend will be high enough for SE even if my mileage is close. If I were close enough in mileage, a mileage run might make sense, but if the spend is too low, then no mileage run would be sensible. So there's a chance of reduced revenue as a perverse side effect.

mevlannen likes this.
  4. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you opt to do an expensive AQD run in J just to requalify.

mevlannen likes this.
  5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. It would depend on one's individual situation, and what the status is worth to the individual. I imagine AC has decided the two factors would cancel each other out.

mevlannen likes this.
  6. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC definitely wants fewer SE's or at least don't want any with spend under $20K. In a conversation I had yesterday it was stated that fewer but more "productive" SE's will result in a better product for their top tier customers and they will invest money on improving delivery of their services to those fliers.

mevlannen likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the other hand, an increase in the number of mid-tier customers will undoubtedly have the opposite effect.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never done a mileage run to requalify, so I'd be unlikely to do an AQD run, either. If I can't get there, I'll settle for E75K (which is easy for me).

9. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm unlikely to do any 'runs' (never have before, so why now?), but tomorrow I do demonstrate the reality of my active retirement, by taking a business trip across the water to Vancouver.

Have a whole metric whack-load of journeys booked in the next few months: some for work (ahem! I am retired!), many for play, and three sets of J-cabin points-burners. No long-haul travel in Y, and none planned ever, as I have never been able to embrace the notion of long-distance travel whilst stuffed into a corner between members of a rugby team.

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  10. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Is it the crowded part or the fact rugby players sometimes do not take showers before flying? :eek: I too do no long haul travel in Y.

mevlannen likes this.
  11. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, they were **clean** rugby players, but they were also huge (HUGE!) and very intoxicated. They more or less consistently squished me for several hours, before the FA finally halted their beer supply and they went to sleep.

By the bye, flights to/from the continent this week? Dead empty, 30 to 40 percent load both ways. Tange fares: got a small number of miles for outbound, but zero (!) for inbound. No AQDs posted as of yet, but I am not holding my breath.

YULtide likes this.
  12. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Typical f
    Typical for this time of year but don't try getting cheap seats to China, South America or the Caribbean right now

mevlannen likes this.
  13. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Londoncalling, my travel to China is always on OPM (other people's money), and one of my basic principles is "if you want me there, put me in the front cabin."

Now you have me curious enough to go lok and see what a Z-fare (or J-fare) YVR>PEK is these days. Any travel beyond that, I prefer the soft sleeper train, because that gives me time and space to work on my notes.

YULtide likes this.
  14. londoncalling

Status Points:
    if you are able to pick your dates there are deals to be had on Z/D/C fares especially to PEK at this time of winter. HKG is a very tough destination, price wise, as AC appears to be always sold out in J on that route. And, when all the 777's are reconfigured plus the 788 arrivals there will be fewer and fewer J seats available.I think getting upgrades will be a major stroke of luck going forward. Like you I travel to Asia on OPM and the front cabin is as far back as I will sit on those very long YYZ/HKG flights. I am currently just inside china and trying to get home on Friday but booked on Saturday in D class and it looks grim for an open J seat. I need to make my agenda more firm it seems.

15. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, then -- good luck on your way back from China, especially as the homeward journey always does seem to take longer.

YULtide likes this.
  16. londoncalling

Status Points:
    The luck of the draw and knowledge of the system sometimes makes me seem smarter than I really am. I noticed two seats on the flight were not filled and none were for sale. A little sleuthing had it all come together. The two seats are left open until they decide which metal is going to go that day. The old config has 42 J seats while the updated version has only 40. Once I knew the old config was on tap I immediately made the call to AC and "voila" I am on today's (Friday) flight.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    mevlannen likes this.
  17. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Londoncalling, I would surely double-like that report of yours. Well played, indeed!

(ook! message number 600! prolixity abounds, indeed)

londoncalling and YULtide like this.