How will you use your 2011 Free Resort Nights?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, Apr 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is to be a fun thread!

Now that the next big SPG promo is out, I'm dreaming of how many Free Weekend Night awards I want to try to earn and where I will redeem them. My wish list is longer than we could realistically vacation, but I still expect to redeem FRNs at several resorts.

Where do you look forward to redeeming your FRNs?
    How many do you expect to earn?
    Why are you particularly interested in your selected resort(s)?

(Edited 4/16/2011 at 3:46pm ET to add 2nd question from DeltaExpert.)
    (Edited 4/17/2011 at 3:11pm ET to add 3rd question from thegrailer.)

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was just going to post a similar thread! Also how many does everyone expect to earn. I think I will only be getting 3

sdcarver and SC Flier like this.
  3. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great Thread Idea!
    I am hoping on about 3 nights. It looks like I will not be able to travel anymore outside CA than I already am so looking at Westin Monache Mammoth or St. Regis Monarch Beach...

sdcarver

SC Flier likes this.
  4. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    2 nights and probably in Sheraton Tokyo Bay.

*edit*

Pending rolling blackouts going around the Tokyo area, this idea might need to be scrapped if not enough of Disney Resort is open due to the power restrictions so backup option is Westin Kyoto.

5. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm REALLY excited about this promo. I mean to be honest, I'd rather just be able to get more points, like the Q1 promo... But... that's not what they're offering.

I live in SFO, and I think the St. Regis Punta Mita will make an amazing 3 night getaway for a long weekend! So that would be 9 stays in three months which should be no problem. Unfortunately, I'm not happy about the check-in/check-out game that SPG is making us play!

I have heard wonderful things about the St. Regis Punta Mita, and it's only a 1500 mile flight from SFO... with no time change. Easy 3 day weekend!

SC Flier likes this.
  6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great!

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A request please to go along with the postings. I expect to end up with 3 resort nights and, as with the above posters, I am interested as to where folks might be going. So my request is to ask for a little info as to why you are going/want to go to a certain resort. Maybe you have a better idea than me or possibly something others don't even know about.

My first thoughts were to use the nights at the Schloss Fuschl Resort & Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg. I like Salzburg in the winter but this resort closes down so I've never had the chance to stay there. This area of Austria is very picturesque and the photos around the resort don't disprove this. I'd like to enjoy the area - in tourist season - away from the tourists. Maybe try some of the lake activities or some hiking in the countryside. It would be great to get one of the lakeside cottages but I'm sure that isn't going to happen.

Others?

Cheers

TRAVELSIG and SC Flier like this.
  8. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect to have 3 nights, possibly 4 and am looking for a stunning property in a tropical locale. The St. Regis Princeville is in the lead today. There are some spectacular places on various Greek isles, but getting there is costly and the season short. Like the OP I'm interested in what others can advise as I'm not familiar with SPG resorts.

9. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which airline would you use for the flights? We are in SJC and I was trying to work out if it would be easy enough to do the same resort for a long weekend without having to spend a whole day either way going halfway across the US to get there.

10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    My intentions include several nights in Kauai (St Regis Kauai, probably) to go along with several free nights that I already have planned at the Royal Hawaiian.

Other possibilities largely depend on finding reasonable flights. Should we have any unused FRNs near the end of the redemption period, we'd probably drive down to the Westin Savannah for a weekend enjoying a few nice restaurants.

DeltaExpert and bakedpatato like this.
  11. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Either Alaska or UA - both have non-stops. I need 2x award tix, and there are non available for the weekends I checked for either carrier. Right now the prices are like $500 per round-trip no either carrier. I don't see them getting any higher... so if we have to plunk down for airfare, that will be okay - well worth it for a nice, relaxing weekend at this world class St. Regis!

12. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny you should mention that - that's exactly the property that we were thinking of and looking at tonight!

I will probably end up with 3 FRNs. The problem will be finding time to use them, since tjtenor4 will have already more than exhausted his annual vacation time with the honeymoon and various other travel/obligations. And during the school year, I only have 1.5 day weekends. So we are basically limited to the remaining federal holidays, and since I have to work straight through Labor Day weekend, I think Columbus Day is the only real option (so Friday night through Monday night or a redeye to Tuesday morning).

We've been trying to make Hawaii work, but the schedule (from the East Coast) is just not cooperative. So we were looking at Europe - and since time is so tight, a property that's fairly close to a major airport (which most of these resorts, unsurprisingly, AREN'T) is a plus. SZG is not great in the latter regard since there isn't a CO/UA nonstop, but it's workable.

Canada and the Caribbean are also both going to be checked out but they don't help as much in our secondary goal which is the necessity to pick up quite a few more EQMs by year's end.

thegrailer likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing. During my recent stay at the Sheraton they told me that the plan is to have the Schloss open year round by the way.

thegrailer likes this.
  14. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still (shocking, I know) haven't been to the W South Beach and I'll probably try the St. Regis Bahia Beach

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are not missing a lot...

16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you say that? Details man, details!

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    W South Beach is not all that special. The pool area is quite crowded. Service in the bar poor. Location a few blocks away from most of the restaurants (not too far to walk, but not in the heart of things either). If you want something nice in South Beach I would go with GHM (Setai) which has very contemporary decor, a great restaurant, and a nicer pool.

7Continents and DeltaExpert like this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the W South Beach considered a resort property officially? I didn't think Ws were classified as resorts.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following four Ws are classified as resorts and are participating in this promo:
    W Fort Lauderdale
    W South Beach
    W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
    W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak

The two other W Retreats are Cat7 properties and are not participating in the promo.

Stealth Traveler likes this.
  20. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most likely I will have 5 FRN. I am scratching my head as where to use them. I am trying to make Schloss Fuschl work, but back-up plan would be W Bali, since it's so much closer to where I am now :)

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is quite the difference in terms of property! I have not visited the W Bali, however understand it is one of the best in the group. I don't know the Seminyak area that well- so will leave to someone who does to say if this is a good/bad go/avoid zone of Bali.

22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a resort. The Lurkers...er, Champions confirmed this, mid year in 2009.

I know the T&C were supposed to be updated, but I cannot find this property listed as a resort.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's not listed as a resort, people could have trouble reserving the free nights there. It would be wise to try to straighten this out well in advance.

24. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    As stated on FT, the property has always been listed as a resort internally. However, Theytus did give an update and says it's a resort.

I do think the champions need to have the T&C's updated, just so there is no question - to a new SPG/Starwood employee or newbie traveler - that the W South Beach is a resort.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  25. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    The W Ft. Lauderdale is also great and they a ton of suites also