How will the possible government shutdown affect you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by milchap, Apr 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This Canadian has been watching with interest this possible scenario unfold.

I notice that the passports will not be issued in the event of a shutdown.....only emergency cases will be processed.

What is the impact in your daily life?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not much, at least immediately.

However, a major disruption could be people wanting visas to come to the US.

The idea of military and other government workers having their pay delayed isn't pretty.

milchap likes this.
  3. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's definitely been an item of conversation at my deployed location in SWA :confused: Aircrew always find things to b**ch about, so at least we're maintaining the status quo. It is a challenge to deal with money issues while far from home and fighting a war. I'm worried about the younger troops/their families who often live paycheck to paycheck, not by choice.

4. MadameConcorde
    Original Member

MadameConcorde Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another Space Shuttle launch delay.

Sick and tired of having to rebook flights especially because of these inane politicians. I am going to send the bill to Obama.

5. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I'm not looking forward to being without pay for however long it might last. A day or two furlough would be bad but we'd get by...longer and I'm going to be in serious trouble. And for the military, especially younger deployed folks are getting screwed even worse.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Send the bill to General Electric- they had something like 11 or 13 BN$ profit last year, of which $5BN was generated in the U.S., and they paid $0 in corporate income tax thanks to their excellent lobbying efforts. Or Google, who transfered profits through their Dublin headquarters to a dropbox address in the Bahamas, and paid zero here. Or Bank of America, with a $600M tax refund. If all those guys paid their fair share we wouldn't have these problems; it isn't a matter of gov't, spending, it's a matter of revenue.