How will AA's Ch. 11 filing impact your 2012 travel plans?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am curious to hear how/if the Chapter 11 filing will have any impact on your 2012 travel plans.

I am not a regular AA flyer, but I preside over a stash of 250k redeemable miles (my own and my wife's accounts) and I have a Citi AA MC that I was planning to cancel next year when the annual fee comes due.

I don't think it's likely that AA will quickly disappear from the face of the earth, and I certainly hope (for the sake of the employees and customers.. and a competitive market) that they pull through. I don't think I'll increase my travel on AA (rare, given my desire to earn UA EQMs to maintain status), but I might look at what I can do with my AA miles in 2012. As I also have about 120k BMI miles to burn, next year might turn into a "burn, not earn" year for me.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 11 trips booked over January and February and expect to fly them all. Might even see a drop in Europe fares to retain customers, and when that happens I'll be buying some more.

rwoman, MLW20, JosephMay and 4 others like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got 85K AA BIS miles booked through the first half of next year. Not planning on changing my plans at all.

rwoman, JosephMay and zpaul like this.
  4. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping we will see increased competitivity in the fares, which hopefully means I can fly with them more...​

rwoman, TheBeerHunter and zpaul like this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    It won't affect me at all - all trip stay as planned.

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that it will affect my paid trAAvel much.

But. . . I traditionally have done everything possible in other parts of my life to maximize AAdvantage miles, usually even buying the cap of 40,000 "Buy AA Miles" in January, converting my Hilton and LaQuinta points to AAdvantage, etc. While I certainly don't really think the AAdvantage mile balances are in jeopardy because of the bankruptcy filing, still, I somehow I predict that I am not going to be stockpiling miles as early and aggressively as I have been.

Lyssa, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  7. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like tom911 said: I have plenty of travel already booked on AA and plan on taking it all and even book more whenever I need to. I.e., it won't change a thing. In fact, I'll be on the lookout for some juicy AAdvantage promos and/or special fares! AA is going into this bankruptcy in a much healthier financial state than its competitors did years ago and so they will certainly come out of it in a good state. I have no doubt that they just did this to get rid of their labor contracts. That's so obvious that it feels silly spelling it out.

ossipago, zpaul, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    while I doubt I have as much AA travel booked as tom911 or Globetrotter, I do have quite a bit booked compared to normal & the filing will not impact my AA travel. I too expect some good juicy promos to come about.

The only change I'm planning is to step up the burning of my US miles.

zpaul, rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why is that?

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    It has absolutely no impact on my 2012 travel

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  11. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have nothing against greedy thugs altering their corporate status so as to screw their employees out of hard earned pensions and to avoid paying their suppliers what they are owed. It is after all the American way, and I may try this maneuvre myself in the coming years. Hitherto, I have split my domestic US business between UA and AA. However, in appreciation of this particularly cunning plan, I shall move all my business over to AA forthwith.

Actually, the only thing I might not do is renew my Admirals Club membership in the hope that they drop the fee again.

Lyssa likes this.
  12. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have about 90,000 miles booked for 2012 and plan on flying AA.

TheBeerHunter, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, no impact... :) Right now I have two TATL trips that should be on AA....more to come!

:D

TheBeerHunter and zpaul like this.
  14. retirementdreams

retirementdreams Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not at all...have a bunch of travel planned...and of course the Mega-Do!!

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  15. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha. I remember how "grumpy" Delta employees were when Delta was in bankruptcy.;)

ceieoc and rwoman like this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    My plans for next year were to go with whomever was cheapest and not continue to play the loyalty game to AA.

This however may change that. If as many hope/expect, fares become more reasonable on AA, I would make the effort to requalify at least platinum and likely EXP.

AA status is worth a slight premium to me and I'm willing to take advantage of what comes. Only time will tell at this point.

rwoman likes this.
  17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Robin, that is a little worry that I have. For 2011, actually. I've got a couple of long overwater flights booked Christmas week -- and probably a check-in at the LAX Admirals Club on a day pass (where grumpiness has reared its head before!). The employees stand to lose a lot from bAAnkruptcy, and I worry a little about how that week will go :(

rwoman likes this.
  18. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    If anything, I'll fall into the crowd of increasing travel if decent fares pop up. But my guess is that the answer will be, "It won't."

Mike

rwoman likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No change to my plans, though my only booked flights with AA are on Monday to CYS for work, and then the OW MegaDO charter. Nothing else on the books, which is odd for me.

No apprehensions about the BK protection filing, just not sure what my plans are yet since I'm almost 100% leisure travel.

I'm thinking 2012 will include ANC, CDG, and new locations in Africa and a return to India. Oh, and Hawaii! :D

ossipago, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  20. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    No change. However, due to job changes, I expect that my travel may begin to fall off significantly and I am unlikely to requalify for EXP after many years at that status. Of course, I said that last year and I still made EXP this year.....

21. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    No changes. They've treated me well and will continue to get my business.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  22. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Probably won't change at all, though I thought about status matching it to AS since I'm based out of SEA.

23. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember. The grumpiness lasted for about two years. As a passenger, it is my responsibility to help make the flight attendants on my flight segments happy and cheerful.

To help prevent stressed out flight atttendants from becoming surly and peevish, especially during the holiday season, I must bring roses and chocolate for all the crew on my next American Airlines flight. I think it is really worthwhile for passengers to take care of their flight attendants, because they will take better care of you and the other people in your cabin.

ossipago and 2soonold like this.
  24. jsm

jsm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wont change anything for me. I will keep flying, unless they stop flying, which wont happen.

25. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1, I hope they do not merge with USAir. There's a lot of talk regarding that possibility.

http://seekingalpha.com/?source=yah...can-airlines-bankruptcy-the-endgame-solution/

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint