How will AA compare with UA?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Punki, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    For more than a decade we have flown primarily UA. Now that we have both made our MM lifetime status, we are burning some miles.

We now have three AA flights scheduled:

Seattle to Puerto Rico in first with one ORD/MIA biz leg, Seattle to NYC in first via ORD, and then Seattle to Buenos Aries in first to Dallas and then biz.

How will our AA experiences compare to our UA experiences? I realize that we won't have any club access on the first two trips which is kind of the pits, unless we happen to find a place where our Priority Pass works or we happen upon a UA club.

What else can we expect?

DanJ likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never flown UA in anything but E and E+, so I can't really give you a comparison.

I do know off the top of my head that AA has a slanted business class product vs the UA full flat product that's rolling out. AA's business class to DFW-EZE should be in a 2/2/2 formation, so if you're traveling as a pair try to grab one of the middle section pairs so you'll both have aisle access.

Here's a link to a AA business class review on the EZE route from MIA. The reviewer has been flying UA for quite awhile, so he does some comparisons. He flew on a 777 but the seat and service should be similar. You have to scroll toward the middle of the review to get to the international business class section.

Hopefully someone who has experience with UA and AA's premium cabins will see this soon and give you a better answer.

Oh, and while not important, the menu says you'll get a sparking water with citrus garnish before landing. It's a lie. ;)

3. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic AA first is better than domestic UA first in my opinion. More and better meals, and buttonhole napkins!

sobore likes this.
  4. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    i do love the buttonhole napkins. and believe it or not, i'm serious.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this, but the difference is fairly small as both are so-so.

Horse likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have any MD80 segments in there, keep in mind they have no in-flight entertainment. They do have power ports, though, in both first and economy.

7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA if your lucky will have a wifi equipped plane. If you need access to the admirals club I suggest using your Amex plat card.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all of the input.

I am happy that we will have one biz leg on our Puerto Rico trip as that will give us an idea of what we will be facing on our tirp to EZE.

Yikes no inflight entertainment on the MD80s? Who do they think they are, AS? :D I really don't mind as I am totally cozy with a book.

Do they at least have pillows?

9. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. And warm nuts!