How Travelers Can Stay Safe in Istanbul—or Anywhere

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cntraveler.com/perrin-po...-can-stay-safe-in-istanbul-or-anywhere-060613

Since protests began in Istanbul's Taksim Square Friday, my inbox has been filled with questions from travelers planning trips to Turkey this summer. Is it really safe? Which parts of Istanbul are full of demonstrators and which are normal? Which hotels are safest?

Some people think that because the U.S. State Department issued a "Travel Alert" for Turkey they should cancel their trips. Those people are confusing "Travel Alerts"—which the State Department issues frequently; there's even a Travel Alert for Hurricane Season in the Caribbean—with "Travel Warnings," which the State Department issues for countries it advises avoiding. Even the wisdom of cancelling a trip because of a Travel Warning is up for debate. I have interviewed many security experts who say U.S. State Department Travel Warnings should be taken with a grain of salt and, consequently, over the years I have visited many countries for which Travel Warnings were in place (including Colombia last month)—only to enjoy some of the most rewarding travel moments of my life. Keep in mind that a State Department Worldwide Caution has been in place for many years, covering every country.

The most current information from the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul advises the same basic precautions that smart travelers already exercise in any big city anywhere in the world: Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Monitor local news media for updates. Enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program so that you'll receive updated information and so the U.S. Consulate can communicate with you in case of emergency. After speaking with Condé Nast Traveler readers in Istanbul early this week—and interviewing numerous travel pros on the ground in Turkey—I continue to think that smart travelers can visit Istanbul just as safely and pleasantly as they can visit any other major city where both petty street crime and occasional violent crime exist, including New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris, and Rome. And that they will likely find people in Turkey friendlier.

Read More: http://www.cntraveler.com/perrin-po...-can-stay-safe-in-istanbul-or-anywhere-060613

txmoney and Aktchi like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only concern I would have is strikes of public transportation including the airports,

YULtide and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. When chaos breaks out and transportation shuts down, you can be stranded for a long time. Better bring a good book. ;)

milchap likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this. Just booked a trip to Turkey for August a couple of weeks ago. Here's hoping things cool down between now and then.

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go to IST in a heartbeat. Instead of staying in the Taxim, Itsiklal Cad, I'd stay on the other side.

6. txmoney

txmoney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading there on August 30th. My wife is a little concerned. We are staying in the old city so I hope we are ok. I did registar with the state department.

7. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Istanbul Traveler should have to use Public transport and avoid silent area.