How travel hackers maximize loyalty points

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by sobore, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thestar.com/specialsecti...kers-use-loopholes-to-maximize-loyalty-points

Think you get a lot of mileage from your rewards card? Chances are you’ve got nothing on travel hackers, the extreme frequent flyers who rack up thousands of points and countless free flights.

Travel hackers are committed to beating the points system by maximizing their rewards while spending the least amount possible, finding loopholes and exchanging strategies to travel the world on a budget.
    American author Chris Guillebeau has racked up more than 1 million points per year for the past three years. He’s been an active traveller for more than 10 years, visiting 185 countries.

“Many of these trips have been free or almost-free, thanks to travel hacking,” he explains in an email. “I can safely estimate that I’ve made it to at least 50 of the 185 countries on award tickets.”
    Those free trips include traditional vacation destinations such as Barbados, but also many unconventional locations, such as a trip to Iraq.

Guillebeau’s secret to earning points travel? Paying attention and spending strategically. Sometimes, the possibility to earn rewards comes in unexpected places.

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/specialsecti...kers-use-loopholes-to-maximize-loyalty-points

2. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of fluffy. The big tip was the one dollar coin hack that worked for about a year and a half. The rest read like a promotional price for the two travel hackers they feature in the article.

Espan likes this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see anything in the article that hasn't been reported here, on FT, or at DO's I've been too.

DTWBOB

Espan likes this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess, the point is, these techniques and strategies keep reaching a broader audience...

5. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see any "top secret" strategies in the article. It seemed to be around using credit cards but using them responsibility. It was very light on specifics and seemed to point out that people are maximizing their points but didn't give any killer tips to help a general audience.

6. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chris Guillebeau has been pimping his travel hacking cartel for years. he just recycles whats on FT and MP and then charges people for it. Nothing he writes about is new or groundbreaking. hes just a good marketer.

7. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that's the star challenge?. Its wasn't a Sobey's only promotion. It was any participating partner. And it was 15,000 points, not a 'free' flight. That gets you from Montreal to Toronto for about $300 in fees. Not exactly an earth shattering experience even if the points were appreciated.

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, nothing earth shattering.

mtlfire likes this.
  9. Clocktower
    Original Member

Clocktower Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak to this article in particular, but generally, when you read a 'filler' article (i.e. not about current events) that reads like a press release, that's exactly what it is. PR firms write these up and send them to news agencies, who then either paraphrase, or blatantly copy them. It's an advertisement paid for by the 'experts' they quote. Got to fill newspaper space (real or virtual), even when there's nothing newsworthy happening.

A similar thing occurs on talk shows, where a hand-wringing topic is explored with lots of teeth-gnashing and what-are-we-as-a-society-to-do tut-tutting.. and oh by the way here's an expert who just happened to write a book about the subject. Guess who paid the show a hefty promotional fee for that episode?

iterfacio12 and servo46250 like this.