How To Use United.com's Farelock for FREE & How To See Price Increase on United.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AcePuppy, Jan 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Member

Status Points:
    Via Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/travel/comments/1vmw3b/how_to_use_unitedcoms_farelock_for_free_how_to/

We all know United.com's Farelock is just another way for United to make a quick buck, well there is a free way of locking in a fare for Free and also a way to see how prices will increase.

1. Put in the flight details of where you want to go and search
    2. Select your departure flight
    3. Select your returning flight
    4. Continue to traveler information
    5. Put in all the traveler information of those going on the flight and click accept and continue to seat assignments.
    6. Choose any seat available for your travelers on the departure and returning flights
    7. On the billing page, choose the payment option PAYPAL. Choosing any other option will not lock in your rate for free. Click Checkout.
    8. You will be brought to PayPal's landing page to log in. CLOSE the window and go back to United.com and go to "My Account".
    9. Under "My Reservations" you will see your reservation. Clicking the more button will show "This reservation is not ticketed. Complete this purchase now."
    NOTE: It is not known how long your fare is locked in for free, but if you continue to do the above process continually, it will eventually increase the price for that particular flight as you continue to block seats.

NOTE(2): If you choose Economy Plus seats through the seat choosing process it will NOT block off those seats and they will be shown as available when you continue to go through the process over and over, but it WILL block out those normal economy seats.

NOTE(3): It is not known if there is a way to get it so that the prices decrease. I was only able to get the prices to increase, please share if you find a way!

downhillcrasher and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pay with cash works, too. It'll even tell you the PNR with that approach. And it is held typically for 24 hours IIRC.

3. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pay with cash option is a legitimate way to hold the reservation but imho, doing what is described above is akin to "manipulating the website" and we know much United likes folks who do that ;)

davef139 and UA191 like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Meh...both the same, really.

And I have no sympathy for the other thing.

goalie likes this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they both accomplish the same thing but one is a "true option" ;) and while sort of comparing an orange to a tangerine to the other thing, I agree with you on the no sympathy part

Newscience likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you have no intention of actually using it for the stated method then neither is legit. Or both are.

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes to not being legit if not using for the intended purpose but if using for the intended purpose, one method is posted and one is a manipulation of the website-even tho the manipulation accomplishes the same thing, it's still a manipulation and that's all I'm getting at (and who knows how UA looks at things with their I/T side being so messed up)