How to use the stopover rule for booking online ?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by anileze, Nov 6, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was planning a stopover in Tokyo on my way to SIN. The farebasis allows for stopover for USD 100. How does one book that online with delta.com ? Multicity ? Or just call the medallion elite toll free number ?

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’d just call.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Echo calling. Anytime I run into something complicated I enlist a human to assist. Also means you get the added bonus of hearing the agent spin the wheel to figure out your award pricing.

Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured as much. Also, noticed that free stopovers on Delta have vanished; even on Business (I) or farebasis Z.

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    :) This is exactly what happened. The agent had to put me on hold and go talk to some pricing desk. She insisted that what I wanted to do (Use the stopover in Area 3) was not possible on my farebasis. 48 minutes, and two long holds later I got what I wanted, and I insisted that they do not charge me extra for using a phone booking as this was not possible online :)

misman likes this.
  6. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? Could swear I just booked one like a month ago on a through fare, lax-Mel with a stop in syd. I fare.

anileze likes this.
  7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my route DTW-NRT, there is a $100 for a stopover in I

dlrules.png

8. kkua

kkua Active Member

Status Points:
    I know this answer hands down because I do a lot of SIN trips on DL. They inherited a lot of the fare pricing rules from NW routes. Because they are de-hubbing NRT, you may find more difficulty in getting stopovers to price your itinerary.

Most of the time, stopovers are not permitted on the outbound, but on the return journey, it's OK. Main reason is that NRT is a higher intermediate point. You have to get to your destination before you can backtrack through the same point. They fear that passengers will ditch the remainder of the ticket for a cheap one-way ticket.

Here's a typical example: LAX-NRT cost about USD1200 roundtrip, but LAX-NRT-SIN costs about USD1000 because of competition from SQ. At one historical point, had 3 daily flights: the nonstop, the NRT stopover and the TPE stopover. With that in mind, DL wants you to reach to your destination before you get your stopovers.

If you stopped in NRT before reaching SIN, the fare pricing will break up to a circle trip. USA-NRT, NRT-SIN, and SIN-USA. It will become more expensive as you pay for 3 fares. In the past, you could've taken advantage of an 18 hr layover. Before HND opened up for daytime arrivals, flights landed close to midnight. Then by the next morning, go through town and find your way to get to NRT after lunchtime to catch the flight to SEAsia.

anileze and MrLincoln like this.