How To Upload Photos/Images To Trip Reports

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by eightblack, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this question asked more than once. On here. And over there. On the other site. You know what I mean.

So, here's how I do it. Very simple. And MP's interface makes it a piece of cake. There are multiple ways of adding images (for example, the MP editor allows you to link to an image via the URL or lets you upload one). Both ways work.

Lets start then..

Uploading An Image
    1. Photo/Image - lets assume you have this already and you know where its located on your PC/laptop. To make things easier, why not drag the image (or images) to your desktop so you can easily find them.

2. Open another window or tab in your browser and go to this site http://imageshack.us/

[​IMG]

3. Don't bother about registering for the site or signing in. Just look to the centre of the page and find the "browse" button. Click on this. You should then see something like this.

[​IMG]

Now, you might see something different. I use a Mac (a real computer). If you use a PC (my apologies), you should see something similar. If not, wake up one of your teenage children and ask them.

4. Click on the file/image you want to upload. In my case, I can see the file highlighted, I then click on "Open" (see above)

[​IMG]

5. You can see now that the file has been selected (the file I chose to upload is titled "The girls"). If that's correct, click the blue UPLOAD NOW button.

Important Note: See where it says "Image Resize" just above the upload button. This is where you tell ImageShack what size you want your photo to be. I've already set it to resize the photo for Message Boards (which is what FT and MP both are).

This is really important. If you don't select the right size, that's when you often see TR's with enormous images.

Once you've hit the UPLOAD NOW button, just wait. Don't worry - ImageShack might look like its having a heart attack. A few seconds and you should see this screen

[​IMG]

ImageShack shows you a thumbnail of the image (so you know its the right one) and then presents you with a whole range of options in terms of the code you'll need to insert into the post.

6. Selecting the right "code" to insert the image into the post. Click on the "Forum Code" box. This will highlight the code. Select copy (under the Edit function in your browser, or Control "C")

Paste this code into the body of your post. Which should look something like this:

[UL=[URL]http://img820.imageshack.us/i/...eshack.us/img820/2919/thegirlsi.jpg[/IM][/UL][/url]
    Uploaded with [RL=[URL]http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/UL][/url]

7. All you need to do now is hit "Create Post" or "Create Thread" or if your editing the post, hit "Save changes" and the post, with the images should upload.

If you look at the code above, you will see the plug by ImageShack (ie Uploaded with ImageShack). I remove this piece of code as I don't want this below my images. Up to you. Leave the rest as it is.

When you hit the Save button, then this is what you should see. Your image. Like this.

[​IMG]

8. Making changes/edits.
    Don't worry if you've made a mistake. The new editor on MP is pretty foolproof. You can fix just about everything.

Notes: If you're new to MP, you can only upload 5 images per post. The way to upload more is to create multiple posts (sometimes called "placeholders") one after the other. You can then go in and populate them later with the images.

Once you've done it a few times, you'll become a pro and you can upload images quickly. If I've confused you now more than ever - I apologise. But if I can do it, then so can you.

Dublin_rfk, RCTP, suenam and 19 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me or are your images broken?

3. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW! Fantastic! I have been resizing my photos first, then putting them up on Picasa and using that link to post here. This is great to understand and a simplier way to post.

I would give you more than 1 like if I could, because this is a VERY beneficial post! Thank you for your time & effort at putting it together.

miles and smiles, lin821 and Chamonix like this.
  4. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the awesome directions! I can't use it at the moment (on my iPad). Hmmm, wonder if imageshack iPhone app will work?

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be great to have this thread in the General Discussion/Travel forum.

6. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also use the "Upload a file" feature of MP to host your photo for you.

Click on the "Upload a File" button and select the photo from your PC. The photo(s) will appear beneath the posting box as shown below. Right now, you can post up to 5 images per post.

sample.jpg
    Select the option to display a thumbnail or the full image. The photo will then populate in the posting box. Click "Post Reply" and you're all set.

turtleback20110212a.jpg

7. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it just me, or do others experience the following: If I am not logged in to MP, it appears that photos that are uploaded to this site directly come up as thumbnails vs those linked to a photo sharing site always stay full size. This occurs whether or not "thumbnail" was selected as display mode. In other words, when logged in the photos are full size, when not logged in while viewing MP the photos are thumbnails.

8. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I just duplicated that behavior. Might be a server-side setting?

miles and smiles and lin821 like this.
  9. lin821
    Original Member

lin821 Gold Member

Status Points:
    (Underline mine)

I take it you meant to say " to create multiple posts", instead of "threads", as placeholders? ;)

Thanks for your detailed instruction, eightblack. It surely makes it easy for those not in the know see how.

10. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Test Post- Guess this Airport??? IMG_6791.JPG

11. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to Eightblack on how to upload photos, I use photobucket, some are free, but I did upgrade to a paid account as I could get so much more use from it, especially when another user adds the photos from the SMD2 Boeing tour and to properly download them I thought I would pay up.

One important thing to keep in mind is the size of the file.

Size 640x480
    [​IMG]

Christchurch New Zealand, Inaugural flight of Pacific Blue.

And 320x240
    [​IMG]

And because this is so usual, I am going to make it a sticky.

Junca and lin821 like this.
  12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you need to re-size the image, or if it is already on a hosting site, I can understand using the various hosting sites. Quite often just using the 'upload a file' link to the lower right of the text box should be sufficient and potentially easier.

lin821 likes this.
  13. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A complaint for MP: please up the limit past 5 images per post! That's insanely low!

A suggestion for image-posters: check into DropBox! It allows you to have a folder on your PC that is web-accessible (safely) so you can use it to host your images without worrying about other services! I use it for my trip reports - very simple.

KENNECTED and Junca like this.
  14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to upload directly from Picasa Web Albums to MP? I have been "Saving Image As" into a folder and then uploading via the MP "upload a file" option.

15. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can upload directly from Picasa Web Albums: Have a photo selected. Right click and choose "copy image location" from the pop-up menu. (Nothing happens, but don't worry it has done the job....).
    Come into your "Reply" box on MP.
    Click on the "insert/edit image" icon above (scroll along icons and you'll see it).
    A little box comes up that says "enter image URL".
    Right click in the line and on the pop-up menu choose "paste."
    The URL from your Picasa image is inserted.
    Click "Insert" and the photo will show up in your reply box.
    If it is a really large photo, you may want to go back and re-size.

16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm requesting the five image maximum be upped to at least 15.

17. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A workaround is to upload five images, submit the post; then edit it, go to the bbcode editor, and you can generally upload more images.

lin821, savydog and KENNECTED like this.
  18. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I didn't know that! ;)

19. c_9
    Original Member

c_9 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seeing as MilePoint is brand new and under active development, leaning on workarounds (or accepting a limit as low as 15) doesn't do the job for me. Let's make this place work *right*.

To me, that means a limit of say 30 images per post (something large, if there must be a limit). If there's a problem with that, let's talk that problem and figure out how to resolve.

savydog and Gargoyle like this.
  20. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been doing search, and still could not find the answer. How to upload pictures from Flickr? Thanks in advance for the reply!
    (Right now I have to download to my computer first. How to use the link provided by Flickr?)

21. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I invest a lot of time photographing and editing photos, so that others can get a true sense of my review. 5/10 pictures doesn't cut it.

If we going to do it, up the maximum to 25 [I think more than that is overkill] then review the process in six months. As I've said in other posts (sorry to sound like a broken record) but pictures give us historical evidence that words cannot always convey.

22. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Untitled2.jpg

To observe the Flickr TOS:
    Click on the down arrow shown above
    Click on Grab the HTML/BBCode
    Select BBCode
    Copy and paste the code given into your post.

So this code becomes the picture below:

[url=[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8377748@N02/3211520232/][Img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/3211520232_69837f89e2.jpg[/img][/url][/URL]
    [url=[URL]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8377748@N02/3211520232/]cardinals[/url][/URL] by [url=[URL]http://www.flickr.com/people/8377748@N02/]cheepneezy[/url][/URL], on Flickr

[​IMG]
    cardinals by cheepneezy, on Flickr

lin821 likes this.
  23. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you,cheepneezy. :)
    I found now my error. I copied the link into the image icon here ([​IMG]). Now I had followed your advice and I was able to post more pictures in one of the threads...
    Thank you again!

24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just have a macro imbedded into this site that lets us attached/copy photos directly? This still seems rather tedious.

25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have an image locally on your computer then it is very easy - just use the Upload a File button.

4-16-2011 12-30-00 PM.jpg

kwai likes this.