How to upgrade my pregnant fiancée

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Ronnie Hansen, Jan 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Ronnie Hansen

Ronnie Hansen Active Member

Status Points:
    I need a little help; I'm flying out of BKK January 19th with my pregnant fiancée. She's 32 weeks in, and her belly has grown a bit faster than we expected. We just had a SGN-BKK flight 2 days ago, and even though i was short, it was very painful to her. Thus; I need to bring her up from monkey class to something with better seats, as she need to be on some kind of adjustable seat.

(I know; we should have known from the start etc. etc., but we are young and careless!)

What is the best and most inexpensive way to get her moved forward in the plane? I spend all points on account recently (there's around 13.000 on the account, which will get me nowhere). Optiontown? Upgrade at the gate (how much would that be?) or do I simply have to call SAS and pay the child's savings for the upgrade?

I've tried working with the SAS-webppage, but since the booking of the tickets have been made combined, there's no way to just to one upgrade - leaving me in the back of the plane - it has to be done combined. Any way to seperate the 2 tickets in the SAS-system? I'm in T. (Even though I paid 6000 pr. tix) which might complicate things a bit.

Any feed-back would be most appreciated!! Thank you.

2. ILS2

ILS2 Active Member

Status Points:
    10.000 points gets one person from Economy to Economy Extra.

Enjoy your flight in coach, while she is in Economy Extra ;)

Ronnie Hansen likes this.
  3. Ronnie Hansen

Status Points:
    That's nice, thank you! Leads to second question; can I separate the two tickets on the same booking in the SAS system, so that booking will actually become available? Right now, it's only possible to upgrade the booking as a whole?

Thanks!

4. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    You would need to call SAS and have the agent split the PNR into 2.

sobore and Ronnie Hansen like this.
  5. Ronnie Hansen

Status Points:
    Thank you very much - it was the talking to SAS thing I tried to avoid, though seems there's no way around it. Thanks!

6. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    The eco extra seat isn't that much better than the standard economy seat, and since you don't have the 30k to upgrade all the way to Biz, I wouldn't recommend a point upgrade (Unless you want to buy the 17k, which would cost you over € 600)
    I would definitely go for optiontown. BKK in January should be very leisure = economy cabin full, business not so much. This sounds like cheap optiontown upgrades.

7. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must admit when I first read the title, I thought you wanted to upgrade to twins :)

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure if you will be able to upgrade 1 or both people on an itinerary, but you may want to take a look at the Optiontown program. Its a fee service to upgrade SAS flights.

The pricing is dynamic, so it will change from one viewing to another. I have used them a couple of times (though not in the past couple of years) and have had 3 of 4 upgrade requests completed.

https://www.optiontown.com/Worldwide_Sites.do?processAction=paramLnk&parm=/01BTSW/

9. ILS2

ILS2 Active Member

Status Points:
    You can not use the 10k Economy to Economy Extra option until check-in (it's a stand-by upgrade). Confirmed upgrades beforehand cost more, and I don't recommend that.

Economy Extra har more than enough room to make it fairly comfortable for a pregnant woman, but Business Class if of course much better.

I would also try Optiontown, just to increase the chances. Cash upgrades at check-in as usually very expensive.

10. tarheelblue
    Original Member

tarheelblue Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny, my thoughts went in exactly the opposite direction. I read the title and thought he wanted to upgrade to a fiancee who wasn't pregnant! :D Best wishes for the new family!

11. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too. I was ready to reply in this thread with something like, "Step 1: Get a divorce. Step 2: Marry a 22 year-old model."

12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What kind of plane are you on? I came home from Thailand at 5 1/2 months pregnant and my husband and I grabbed a window and an aisle in United's E+ on a 744 and prayed that no one would want to sit in the middle seat between us. Worked like a charm and we got the 3 seats (Worst case you can make the person switch with you someone shows up). Premium Economy was a help, but if its not available, at least having an extra seat in between you is pretty nice. You might want to call the airline to see how full the plane is and/or if you might be able to do something like that. They probably can't hold seats open for you but if it is a light load, they might be able to direct you towards a less crowded area of the plane. After spending 14+ hours stuffed in coach on a full SQ flight on the way there, coming home on United, even though it is not as nice of an airline was way better. My husband was really nice to get up every so often to let me stretch out across the seats. My other advice is make sure your fiance gets up and walks, it helps, and stay hydrated. Congrats on the new family. I'm about 35 weeks myself. Good luck!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I *strongly* recommend checking with her MD and see if safe for her and the baby to be to be traveling.

DTWBOB

14. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    SK operates A340 on this route

15. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    My thoughts too, nothing like having a real problem on a long flight(s) with a pregnancy. But what the heck, coach, economy plus, business class, the OP did say,
    (I know; we should have known from the start etc. etc., but we are young and careless!)

Careless might just lead to a young couple's problems

16. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about begging at the gate? :)

17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    so that's like 2-4-2 seating right? if you aren't able to upgrade, maybe see if you can find an empty row in the middle, if not, window/aisle on the outside would be the next most comfortable. Sometimes having the wall to lean on is nice.

18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance of changing flights to break up the trip a little?

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any chance of canceling the trip altogether until after the baby is born?

20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    at 32 weeks, that could still be 2 months away. While it is not an unreasonable time to still be flying, best to check with the doctor. Keep in mind most carriers also will want to see a note. I last flew at 29-30 weeks (5-6 hours was the longest flight with about 9-10 hours total transit time), no problems other than being somewhat uncomfortable even in domestic first. I drank a TON of water and was up every 20 minutes (at least) to go to the bathroom. I had my dr.'s blessing to keep traveling up until 34 weeks, but decided to stay home after that. Hope OP finds a comfortable solution for his fiance. Every pregnancy is different. If this trip is purely for recreation, I'd say cancel, but if OP is stuck somewhere in a foreign country, I say do what you have to do to get home safely before baby.

Also keep in mind, with a Dr.'s note, some carriers will let you cancel or at least move your ticket date to use at another time. That would maybe give you more flexibility to then maybe find a cheaper alternative in a better class and/or on another carrier.

21. Ronnie Hansen

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advise! We're not that careless, not to have checked with the MD, though. There are absolutely no problems from a medical perspective, and we did a last check just 2 days ago - and since we are traveling home, not away, we would not cancel at all. He, and airlines, says until 1 month before birth is ok.

The plane should not be completely full, so even though I've now put in a request at optiontown, we'll go for the hoping for some extra room / begging as suggested. We actually talked a lot about whether to do direct or have a stop in between, and ended up paying extra to do the direct flight (SAS) instead of way cheaper alternatives (like Emirates etc.). Transfers, i reckon, would be worse than a direct flight. At least in places like Frankfurt and the likes. (Never been through Emirates hub, though)

I'm pretty sure, and thankful at least for this first one, that it has not been upgraded to twins nor a newer model!! :)

Thank you for your advice, concern and experience sharing!!

22. Ronnie Hansen

Status Points:
    And now the upgrade through Optiontown went through. Not bad at all - the flight will be just fine. Thank you again for all comments!

HelsinkiFlyer and IDGflygirl like this.
  23. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    great to hear -- did you both choose Econ Extra or Business?

Either way, enjoy your flight and glad your fiancée will have a bit more comfort for the journey (and good luck with the new addition!)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  24. Ronnie Hansen

Status Points:
    Thank you, canucklehead! We applied for both, but the econ extra was the one that came through. I'll try to upgrade her further at the gate. I'm thinking about a small photo reportage for milepoint - "how to get your pregnant better half home on a long-haul without getting neither divorced nor breaking milepoint pregnacy ethichs!" :D

OY-JFS, IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  25. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gate upgrades are points only - which can also be done at check-in. Cash upgrades might also be possible.
    But optiontown upgrades are not possible at the airport.
    Op-up (or maybe courtesy upgrade) is something you can just beg for...