How To Turn A Mattress Run Into A Free Staycation: Introduction

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    When I was growing up, my Dad would tell me about how when guys are fishing from shore, they would always try to cast to the center of the pond. But when they are fishing from a boat, they would try to cast as far back to the edge of the pond as they could. I'm not much of a fisherman -- I can't sit still long enough -- but I think the takeaway was that you should try to take advantage of where you are, rather than always trying to be somewhere else. My family tries to apply this philosophy to our travel life. While we very much enjoy going to faraway places and do so several times per year, we also want to make sure we see the sights closer to home. Therefore we try to mix in a few staycations each year where maybe we spend a weekend exploring an area that is within a couple hours drive. But at the same time, we try to make these staycations as cheap as possible by using them to earn hotel points and status that will come in handy for our bigger trips. We recently spent a weekend in Colorado Springs on a mattress run that, by my accounting, earned more value in points than it cost. This is the introduction to that trip report. The post How To Turn A Mattress Run Into A Free Staycation: Introduction appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...