How to Tip After the Fact

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Mike Reed, Jul 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short version: concierge made great recommendations via email pre-arrival and made reservations for us by phone request. He's not here to tip personally during our stay. What's the best way to get a tip to him? Envelope with his name and a short thank you note left at the front desk?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

flyingdawg, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should work. Make sure the envelope is sealed.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perfect. Between that and a hard working pool attendant, a great stay this weekend.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have actually done this at several SPG properties.

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you want to include a tip for the pool boy, include it in the same envelope and mention him to the Concierge in the letter. The Concierge should search out the pool boy and give him the tip AND make sure that the GM knows that the pool boy was mentioned in a letter from a guest. That will help him with promotions, raises, etc. So next trip the pool boy could be managing the pool or even becoming an assistant to the concierge.

Steven Schwartz and flyingdawg like this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got to tip the pool attendant personally AFTER a good conversation with the Food and Beverage manager at the poolside bar/restaurant. Worked out well. :)

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very cool you are making the effort to make sure these employees get the extra recognition they deserve.

(1,000 by the way! wahooooo!)

Mapsmith likes this.
  8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many years ago, back in college days, about 8 people went out for dinner on New Year's Eve followed by a party at one of my friend's Uncle's apartment on the Upper East Side of NYC (he was away). Somehow I ended up with the check and had to figure out what everyone owed.

About an hour later, back at the apartment, I realized I had stiffed the waiter - on New Years Eve! I immediately called the restaurant and when they asked who is calling, I told them I was the one who stiffed the waiter! Believe me, they all knew who I was. That said, they were more than grateful and assured the waiter a check was on the way. Very embarrassing.

Mapsmith likes this.