How to ticket complex itineraries found via ITA

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by mundosurfer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can usually find interesting itineraries on ITA and many times ticket them via Expedia or the airline's web site but once in a while I can't get it to work. I know some of these fares require a TA, but I have tried a few times and they seem to never be able to complete the task. If anyone has tips or tricks on how to actually ticket some of these fares please post them here.

Biu and joesmoe like this.
  2. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not every fare ITA displays can be issued as shown. For example, ITA shows up some BD codeshares in T, but unfortunately T isn't offered on some flights with certain airlines.

joesmoe likes this.
  3. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that, but Im talking mostly about tickets in First and Business, and usually verify the fare rules to see if it is valid. Many times on FT people would post about their fares but never gave much help on how to ticket them. The standard response was "I have a good TA"

joesmoe likes this.
  4. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, that standard response is very much true. Complex itineraries are hard to book through an online travel agent, and many walk-in agents these days simply can't be bothered. For complex ticketing, a good relationship with your travel agent (or, in a few cases, becoming one yourself!) is almost a necessity.

joesmoe likes this.
  5. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

A great TA is priceless. If you need help, PM me and I'll be happy to suggest a few.

WaterSki likes this.
  6. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I haven't rly flown overly complicated itineraries and AA has for the most part ticketed anything I make on ITA, what kinds of routing tricks prevent the carriers from ticketing it?

7. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not so much that AA couldn't ticket it, more that it can be a headache to get the agent to do what you want. A great TA will just put it together in a flash (and you'll probably pay the same or less than the AA phone ticketing fee).

joesmoe likes this.
  8. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And sometimes you don't want the carrier to ticket it in case of a long forgotten fare - no point bringing attention to a great fare that you have found...

joesmoe and Chris H like this.
  9. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a very good point - especially because the agents will often have to go to the rate desk to price a complicated itinerary.

joesmoe likes this.
  10. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the fares you will discover on ITA should be able to be ticketed without going to the rate desk. Different GDS's may price differently - so it may be a matter of tinkering around with the booking class slightly. I have found that the booking codes provided on ITA are not always 100% correct especially when the itinerary is using different airlines.

Changing the booking code from J to I on CX or J to C or D on AC (or some other variations like this) will usually be the only change required to make the fare work.

Try to discourage the TA or agent from going to the rate desk....

joesmoe likes this.
  11. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be clear, I was talking about the carrier's reservation agents going to the rate desk. But yes, this should be discouraged.

joesmoe likes this.
  12. There were individuals on FT that were agents and would ticket some stuff.. generally for a fee and if it wasn't too shady. I'm sure they will appear over here.

joesmoe likes this.
  13. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    That'd be good, but I know some got burned one way or another by members of the Community and stopped being so altruistic or helpful. [​IMG]

14. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Already there :D

Rom Sac, jnsaff and joesmoe like this.
  15. Well, my 'guy' has always come thru. ;) as Randy says YMMV

16. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    even simple ITA itineraries are difficult to book sometimes... I was pulling my hair out in Spain when I tried to book a very straight forward ALC-PAR ticket on AirEuropa... it was a $4+ tax... simple enough, and a bargain at sub $200 round trip around New Year... however when you tried booking it direct, the route wouldn't even show up on AirEuropa... and even though the fare showed up on Expedia, Orbitz, and CheapTickets... when you clicked to book it, there would be a funny message: "we have found an even lower fare on this route..... your new price $450!!!" WTF?

joesmoe likes this.
  17. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    That truly sucks when that happens. the only time for me was a LGA-ORD-BRU-LHR-MIA-RDU-LGA that i found for $593. AA said it exceeded the maximum amount of miles allowed on that fare. :(

joesmoe likes this.
  18. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are already a few here.

Chris H likes this.
  19. I've found most TA's hate anything that isn't straightforward. This seems silly to me since for simple itieraries it is much easier to go to a website to book.
    I'm fortunate enough to have found a great TA in the past year and she loves the challenge of the bookings that I've come up with. Though she finds some the routing a bit strange at times!

20. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many TA's on FT/MiPo, whom are very familiar with doing complex fares, and wont 'hold it against ya'

For those who have a TA that gives them a hard time about complex fares, ask for a new TA here on MiPo.

openseat and Chris H like this.
  21. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having a TA who is familiar with "the addiction" definitely makes life easier. In fact, sometimes they may be able to improve on what you already have. [​IMG]

joesmoe likes this.
  22. If I have difficulty I'll do that, thanks. I'm not sure if there are any TA's here who are based in Australia; not that it really matters that much as I'm often booking travel from a starting point out of Australia because of the generally more expensive fares we get here.

Travelsavant likes this.
  23. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that'll make a difference, however I bet that there are many TA's from Australia here (or will be soon enough), I know there were a few over @ FT.

24. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps totally off topic, but how does one become a TA?

AHN and stuartfla like this.
  25. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a good question, you should start a thread on it, i'd be interested in the results as well.

stuartfla likes this.