How to spot a fake hotel review.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anileze, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Travel+Leisure's article How to Spot a...

We all have our own internal heuristics to discount a review, or absence of a metric for a property, use reliability index of the poster from other posts.

The article further states that fake reviews have reached a critical mass. There are firms that write reviews for a price. Will any property that is not managed by a reputable chain, will in the long run suffer by buying these reviews from "reputation" companies ?

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's disturbed me to see how little Tripadvisor seems to care about fake reviews. I've run into reviews that clearly trigger my heuristics for fake (reviewer has written a single review, long on generalities, short on details, and lots of similarly good reviews in a short time), reported the lot to Tripadvisor, and seen no response at all.

3. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, this just means that we go back to the good old days where we depend on friend referrals.

But what I find quite useful is reviews from forums, such as MilePoint, etc. There is probably a higher level of trust between reviewers in forums than on sites like tripadvisor where they are completely anonymous writers.

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    It goes without saying that it's important to use a "BS meter" with most important decisions, including for all aspects of travel planning. anileze's posting reminds us how overreliance on web-based "reviews" and "recommendations" is becoming less useful. And as pointshogger mentions, first-person reports, whether from friends and colleagues, or (hopefully just as genuine) on travel forums such as Milepoint, should provide better information to make that hotel/travel booking decision. Thanks for these informative postings!
    Newscience

pointshogger and gregm like this.