How to "spend" frequent flyer miles

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Capiscan, May 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Capiscan

Capiscan New Member

Status Points:
    Not to be thick. . . .If I get several credits and amass thousands of miles, how do I use them to buy my tickets?

I currently have a Venture card and will be applying for others soon. How do I get the miles in one place to buy the tickets?

chrislacey likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Venture is a not a true mile card. Its a cash back card used to get statement credits towards "Travel" expenses.

You might want to consider what your plans are and then ask what cards to use to achieve those said plans vs asking how do use my miles to buy tickets when we don't know what type of tickets you have, what your balance of "points/miles" and what type of points they are.

100,000 Venture miles is equivalent to what, $1,000? 100,000 Chase UR points are also about $1,000 but can be used for business class RT to Europe/Asia/Australia, which more than $1,000 if you paid cash or several nights at a high-end Hyatt which can also total more than $1,000.

3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Short answer: you redeem miles through each program separately. If you get the UA Explorer card and have mileage plus miles, you redeem through United for tickets on star alliance carriers of your choice (or one of UA's other partners). And you don't combine miles across programs - they are "loyalty" programs, and they're trying to get you to concentrate your business.

Longer answer: there are some currencies, like Amex membership rewards and Chase ultimate rewards, that can be transferred to other programs. e.g. you could transfer points from both programs to British Air Avios and redeem those on BA, one world partners, and other BA partners (e.g. Alaska or Aer Lingus). But those currencies are the exception. More commonly, hotel programs allow some form of transfer to airline points, though usually not at 1:1.

chrislacey, NYCUA1K, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    you also forgot to mention points redeemed for travel (Chase UR, Amex MR, Citi TY) + The fixed points system like CapitalOne Venture, Barclay Arrival, US Bank Flex, Discover Miles, BofA something or another, xxx's Bank yyy's points. Or even Cash Back cards can be considered a form of "points"

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next year I am seeing First Class trip to Asia at 200,000 miles each way, this year It was at 67,500 miles..each way...

Look for things to change as miles are worth less,

anileze likes this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, @Capiscan! As you are probably guessing from the responses so far, there are cards where you accrue actual Frequent Flyer points for a particular airline or program. These would be redeemed (mostly) on the website of the airline/program once the miles are deposited. There are lots of other credit card offers where you receive points and they can then be transferred to airline mileage programs (American Express Membership Rewards, for example).

If you can provide a bit more information about where you want to go, where you are flying from, what class of travel and any miles you have currently aside from the points on the Venture card, I'm sure our members will be able to assist you better.

Capiscan, traveltoomuch and satman40 like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP @Capiscan.
    Nothing more I could add to the above. :)
    Enjoy your new "hobby"

Capiscan, traveltoomuch and satman40 like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, sometimes many of us post rather than think, you also should think, where you want to go, airline that serves that location.

It is Goal Planing, you can have a million miles, and not be able to use them.

Only collect the miles you can use, and to not apply for every card out there, every blogger will push you, but choose wisely, and wait for a good offer..

Miles are like life, planning save a lot of mistakes, and we all have junk in our closets. It can be done, many here have aquired several million miles.

Capiscan and WilliamQ like this.
  9. Capiscan

Capiscan New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses. . .I think I'm understanding better.

Short term goal is to go to the Taj Mahal in 2016.

Long term goals: Petra and the Hermitage . . . and after that?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  10. Capiscan

Capiscan New Member

Status Points:
    Whaaaaa? Can you break this down a bit? This is like learning a whole nother language.

11. Capiscan

Capiscan New Member

Status Points:
    This is great, Thank you, . . .how would I find out who partners with who?

12. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    And then how would you find out who has good award availability and doesn't add excessive fuel surcharges? The list will keep growing. :)

I suggest you answer the rest of chrislacey's questions: "where you are flying from, what class of travel and any miles you have currently aside from the points on the Venture card". Those will help us help you.

satman40 and edekba like this.
  13. Capiscan

Capiscan New Member

Status Points:
    I'd most likely start from Nashville, TN or Atlanta. . .I'm not bothered about class and I have no points except what's on my Venture card.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    With what you have now then its pretty easy. Buy whatever ticket you can find; and use your "miles" to offset the cost.

If you don't care about class ... continue to use the Venture and/or get a Barclay Arrival possibly. 2.2% > 2.0%

satman40 and traveltoomuch like this.
  15. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your analysis is all wrong. It's backwards facing. You should be thinking forward. Not backwards.

16. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh and if you want to go to the Taj Mahal.... short term with all the discord amongst the multiple carriers over exactly those routes. Routes to India that mostly route through DOHA.

Go now. On a paid fare. I'm sure it's a buyers market.

traveltoomuch and edekba like this.
  17. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:

Eggsactly

satman40 and edekba like this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or Dubai & Abu Dhabi =)

satman40 likes this.
  19. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Thanks for the answers!

As others have said, since you're content with economy class, there's quite a bit to be said for just paying cash - $1200 Delhi fares are readily available. You might find miles more interesting going to closer destinations (e.g. Europe for 60K UA miles round-trip, 30k one-way). UA does not add fuel surcharges, and there are some nice signup bonuses on the UA explorer card and the Chase cards that give ultimate rewards ports.

You might also consider Singapore's KrisFlyer program. You can transfer both Chase UR and Amex MR to that, and the award chart is a little cheaper (55k to Europe RT).

satman40 likes this.
  20. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody here knows any forum discussion focused in connecting users willing to trade, buy or sell miles?

21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to sell some miles, just send me money order, and I will email you my account number and password.:rolleyes:

22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Users to Users?
    Nothing legit
    Most programs are always willing to sell you more points / miles though.

Welcome to MP @Bigwig

@satman40, now, be nice... :)
    Would you really give me your account details? Do you accept PayPal? :D
    Have a good day!

satman40 likes this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First post, but then it never hurts to ask...

I have given expiring miles and drink coupons away, I thought it was illegal to sell them to strangers....

WilliamQ likes this.
  24. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Airlines have a Security Team that does nothing but chase Mile Sellers, what better way to set someone up through the a Forum, EBay is another good place, where many have been caught.

Most of us give the miles away, truth is most working people can not afford to take the time off,

If you work, most will discover how easy it is the aquire more of anything, than you really need