How to Select MIles Credit Instead of IHG Points?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Explore, Sep 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see anywhere on the IHG website where you can select airline miles as your earning preference, and enter an airline FF number. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.....

2. unclepants
    Original Member

unclepants Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there

It's a bit hidden. Go to the Manage Your Account page, Account Status and you'll see an opportunity to change your earnings preference. (Screenshot included below.) change pref.JPG

3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks....and two follow-up questions.

1) Will the change apply to current reservations? (With HHonors, current reservations are locked in to the preference at the time of booking).

2) Will a miles preference still allow IHG promotion bonus points like the current Intercontinental Hotels multiplier, Ambassador Accelerator etc.?

4. unclepants
    Original Member

unclepants Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) In my limited experience - I've only switched back and forth once - it will apply to current reservations. However, with PC I take nothing for granted.

2) The main bonuses usually run in parallel for miles and points, i.e., there will also be mileage bonuses for those doing direct deposit to airline programs. However, there are several promos that are exclusively for those collecting points; I believe the Stay X promos fall into that category. I always check the T&C of each promo to be sure. These restrictions can make Grand Slam hits, for instance, quite expensive.