How to see Fare Bucket Availability

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rob, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Login to united.com and select 'My Profile' then 'My travel information'. Halfway down the page, change the 'Availability format' to 'an expert'. Now do an award search for the route and date you're looking to fly. If the flight you're looking for is listed, hit the 'Flight Details' link and you'll get a pop-up that contains a line like:

Available Cabins: F8, A7, Y9, B9, E9, M9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, T9, S9, K9, L9, G9, XY4, NY4, XF2, NF2

The F8 A7 buckets mean United is willing to sell 8 first class tickets. The Y9 B9 ... buckets mean United is willing to sell 9 or more coach tickets. The number for each class of service do not get added together as they are generally linked to each other. XY4 means 4 saver award seats are available. NY4 means 4 saver award seats for 1Ks are available. Again, XY and NY are a little linked in that I've never seen XY have greater availability than NY, while I have seen NY greater than XY. These buckets also are not added together. XF2 means 2 saver first class awards are available. NF2 means 2 first class upgrades are available. Usually if someone books a saver award, both XY and NY go down by one (although sometimes if a flight is XY9 NY9 they'll stay 9 after the booking). Ditto XF and NF usually both going down - but not always. NF and XF are not necessarily the same number.

If the flight you're looking for isn't listed, try searching for a different class of service. When a flight is zeroed out in a given cabin, it won't be shown in search results (aka, if a flight is Y0 and you search for a coach award, the flight won't be listed).

It is possible to see different fare bucket availability depending on the type of search you're doing. Married segment availability means United (or other airlines) make different buckets availabile depending on if you're connecting from another flight or not (and could be connecting from a specific flight, or from a set of long-haul flights, or...anything they want really). For example, I was searching for a Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Miami (MIA) flight recently. If I looked at availability for IAD-MIA, every bucket lower than V was zeroed out. If I instead did a search for SFO-MIA connecting through IAD, on the same flight that I was looking at earlier, I saw fare buckets lower than V with availability.

Fare bucket availability can also have litte relation to seat availability. United both oversells and undersells flights. A flight can be Y1 and be oversold by 5 people, or it can be Y1 and undersold by 30 people. They can also change quickly depending on operational changes, or even just if inventory management feels like it.

Other options to see bucket availability include:
    Free:
    FlightStats.com
    http://www.wandr.me/Tools/Single_Bucket_Inventory.aspx for single fare classes
    Paid:
    ExpertFlyer
    KVS

FlyingFree, Almond, tahewett and 8 others like this.
  2. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for including the explanations with this Rob!

3. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer (paid service) also has a mobile page.

5. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Thanks.

Does the UA website give the same good info for co flights as well?

6. Yes, but you need to look for a roundtrip, and saver space must be available on that flight. Put in the date if your flight, and a bogus return, then select Star Alliance Awards, then select the CO flight, and you can see all the fare classes. You need 'R' bucket availability to upgrade on CO.

7. Not for awards flights. Someone documented it on FlyerTalk.

8. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Rob.
    Going to be flying more UA metal in the near future. [​IMG]

9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be good as a sticky that would always be at the top of each forum page.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. nor4

nor4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FT reported that united.ca and unitedairlines.co.uk still used the old method to reveal the whole array of fare buckets with a mouseover of "flight details".
    However in looking for NC seats to CDG and BRU in March I no longer find this capability on these 2 websites. Is anybody still getting the "old" screens on these sites? Is it just me?

13. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

Any updates to this post specifically regarding setting up alerts for when a (in my case, revenue) fare bucket has less than X seats remaining?

Thx,
    theBOAT

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No free public tools providing that inventory alert action that I'm aware of. Dunno if EF still has it or not for revenue buckets but I think it does.

theBOAT and ACMM like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC EF does

[Sent from my Tapatalk enabled Whatsit]

theBOAT likes this.
  16. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points: