How to Screen Your Seatmates Before You Get on the Plane

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by sobore, Mar 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...-before-you-get-on-the-plane.html?id=14269100

Imagine if there was a tool to screen for children, obnoxiously talkative travelers, or other annoying people when selecting your seat on a plane. So far it exists only in our dreams. But KLM's Meet and Seat concept comes close.

Meet and Seat is a KLM program that allows travelers to choose seatmates based on information from Facebook or LinkedIn. Participants can browse profiles of fellow flyers on the seat selection page, and choose their spots on the plane accordingly.

We reported on Meet and Seat when it launched last year. But recently, I got a chance to test it out on a round-trip flight from New York to Amsterdam. What I learned is that a social networking scheme is only as good as the quality and number of its participants. In my case, I found the latter as thin as an airplane blanket.

After I received confirmation of my booking, I was able to connect to Meet and Seat through Facebook. I was given the option to select which parts of my Facebook profile I wanted fellow passengers to have access to. After I consented to connect my Facebook account with the program, I viewed the available passenger profiles. But there was one large problem.

Almost no one had shown up for the party. Only one other passenger had signed up for Meet and Seat on my returning flight. And zero flyers had opted in for my departing red-eye.
    The absence of seatmate options compelled me to exit the program and deactivate my account. Clearly, this can't work without some willing participants to seed the selection process. Is Meet and Seat a withering concept?

Read More: http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...-before-you-get-on-the-plane.html?id=14269100

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I always wanna know. ;)

8MiHi likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a good idea in theory. Cruise passengers do this sort of thing on cruise critic so they can meet other people on the cruise to pair up for excursions or dining, etc.
    Maybe eharmony could launch an app for this so people could meet and get married in flight. OR just match you based on interests. The problem is most of the people in the points world would all end up in first class together :)

sobore and uggboy like this.
  4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that unless people are flying alone and don't have a lot of work to do on the plane, they probably don't care that much who they sit next to, within reason.

uggboy likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another use case for my fake FB account. Now I just need to put up a more attractive photo.

<Goes to google for young Fabio photos>

MX likes this.
  6. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My preferred seat mate is an empty seat next to me. Do they have a tool to screen for that?

LETTERBOY, yasssmina and bigx0 like this.
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Put up the ugliest photo you can find on Facebook and say your hobby is examining dog scat or something.

On the other hand, maybe that's what you'll attract, no nevermind.

8MiHi likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA191 and MX like this.
  9. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah..my new seat mate will sit down with a big bag and say "you too?! I thought you might interested in this...."