how to schedule a layover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by fourspiralarms, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. fourspiralarms

fourspiralarms Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello all,
    I'd like to book a flight from JFK to GUM with a week layover at NRT. Booking the flight through Delta I was able to find a business class seats for around $3,500 but it is with an hour layover at NRT. When trying to schedule it as a multi-segment trip the price jumps up to about $6k per ticket. I've seen a lot of talk about scheduling layovers to plan your perfect trip... but how do you go about scheduling it? can it be done online or do you have to go through an airline agent?
    Thanks in advance!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try the multi city feature when searching for flights to do an online booking. Sometimes delta.dumb resists ticketing what you want. In that case, call DL. If you are subject to phone bookings fees, explain that it is a website issue and your trip cannot be booked on line. Sometimes a phone agent will make the booking for you and let you purchase it on line without the fee.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all fares permit a stopover. And even those which do might have what's known as a HIP check which is an abbreviation for Higher Intermediate Point, when if the fare from B-C is higher than A-B-C then you pay the higher fare even if flying A-B-C.

In short, there is no guarantee that the fare permits what you are trying to do. You have to read the fare rules to fully understand what you're getting in to. That said, reading the fare rules of the I fare suggests that stopovers are permitted but when I price it the fare jumps up to a J fare rather than the I fare on the outbound with the stop. Not sure if that's the HIP check, married segments or something else.

4. fourspiralarms

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if I phrased my question right. The route from JFK to GUM is JFK > NRT > GUM. No matter how I book the ticket there is a layover at NRT. I want to be able to extend this layover for a week instead of just an hour though. Does anyone know how to do this?

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean did answer your question... When you're buying a ticket every ticket has different fare rules, some allow free stopovers or charge you an additional $100 for the stopover.

Sometimes you're stuck with the HIP as Wandering Aramean pointed out, the fare difference on the second sector i.e NRT-GUM costs more then the initial JFK-NRT-GUM so you're basically paying for two separate sectors (JFK-NRT and NRT-GUM instead of JFK-NRT-GUM)... I would call Delta and try to price out what you want and work with an agent since sometimes DELTA.DUMB does not work very well with stopovers.

6. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most fare rules allow for layovers/connections under 24 hours. Here, I'm assuming that the $3,500 ticket doesn't allow for stopovers over 24 hours. But yes, if it allows for stopovers and the website can't book it, then calling them (or booking through Orbitz/Expeida) would be best.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, as I noted above, the I fare DOES permit stopovers. I would bet it is the HIP check that is causing the issues. That or married segments.

If JFK-NRT sells at the higher price then stopping there triggers that HIP check issue, requiring you to pay that fare. If it is married segments then that means there is no I inventory on JFK-NRT but there is if you buy JFK-NRT + NRT-GUM together.

I just did a search for February and found the $3700 fare without the stopover. It doesn't look like a married segments issue as I can see I inventory without the connection so I'm betting it is the HIP check issue.

8. fourspiralarms

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the info and for re explaining it for me! Ill let you know how it turns out!