How To Replace Anything (Anything) Lost On A Business Trip

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.gadling.com/2012/09/15/how-to-replace-anything-anything-lost-on-a-business-trip/

What's the independent business traveler's worst enemy? It's not hotel Wi-Fi. It's Radio Shack. Have you seen how much they charge for a micro-usb cable? Twenty bucks. Same cable at monoprice? About a dollar.

Forgetting simple things like power bricks and phone adapters is one of the most frustrating side effects about business travel. Often the frustration doesn't even come from the inconvenience - it's always nice to have a backup phone charger - the problem comes when the charger is four times the cost that it should be. Case in point? That combo meal at the Burger King in LAX isn't supposed to be $12. Captive audiences breed captive prices.

It's happened to all of us, but there are a few ways around the frustrations of shopping on the road.

If you're staying at a hotel, it's always handy to check the lost and found. Travelers leave all sorts of things behind, and according to the Sheraton staff in Philadelphia, what's not picked up at lost and found gets donated or distributed among the workers. It's not just electrical widgets either. Lost contact lens case? Forgot your tennis shoes? Check downstairs. And in case you have any issues with stealing something that might eventually be claimed, you can always bring it back.

Read More: http://www.gadling.com/2012/09/15/how-to-replace-anything-anything-lost-on-a-business-trip/

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good suggestions. I once toasted a phone charger in Italy (I hadn't noticed that it was not dual voltage), hit irrops and had to overnight at LGA. Phone was almost dead, so I went to the front desk, they pulled out a box overflowing with chargers, the perfect one was right on top.

Concerto, 8MiHi, sobore and 2 others like this.
  3. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    better yet go downstairs to the front desk and tell them you lost your charger in the lobby and cant find it. 10 times out of 10 they will reach behind the desk and pull out a box stuffed with chargers, cases, plugs, adapters, etc...

I ALWAYS travel with an apple charger even when I dont ;)

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I'd want someone else's contact lens case, tennis shoes, etc...

Gargoyle, MX, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I virtually never go on business trips, so I guess all this doesn't apply to me :(

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once at HAM I received a thoroughly damaged bag. The friendly folks at LH offered me any of hundreds of bags they showed me in exchange. I took a very nice Rimowa to replace my trashed generic bag.

Lost and found worked for me!

iterfacio12, Gargoyle, MX and 3 others like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works for umbrellas, too. If you're caught in the rain without one, just pop in to the nearest restaruant and tell them that you left your umbrella there when you were in a few days ago. They will have a nice selection.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)I'm lovin that one!

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    These tricks also work on leisure trips.

10. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah, that'd be rather gross.