How to Rent a Sports Car

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.mensjournal.com/travel/events/how-to-rent-a-sports-car-20140415

[​IMG]

When a guy mentions upgrading his rental car, he's usually preparing to go for a ride in a Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang. There's nothing wrong with those bruisers, but if you want a car that will really turn heads you have to look beyond the American middleweights. Traditional rental car companies like Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Hertz Car Rental have spent the last few years investing in fleets of exotic vehicles. So have their competitors. You'll only find the truly exotic models in affluent metropolitan areas with year-round sun (think: Miami, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas), but you can find something exciting just about anywhere.

The Traditional Route
    The Hertz Dream Cars collection now includes the Ferrari F430 Spider and Lamborghini Gallardo Bicolore. Rates are steep, starting at $1,200 per day and $3 per mile, but aren't so bad if you think of the speedsters as both a vehicle and an activity. Similarly Enterprise's Exotic Car Collection includes the Ferrari California and Aston Martin Vantage. You'll pay for the privilege of driving them. But a weekend with the wind in your hair doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars. Want a less expensive but zippy model? Try the Audi R8 Spyder, which goes for $950 per day through Hertz or the Porsche Boxster, which is available from $250 a day and ¢49 a mile in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, and Fort Lauderdale.

The process of renting a faster car is surprisingly easy assuming you have the cash to pay the bill. Most rental companies require a valid driver license, a good driving record, comprehensive insurance, and a $5,000 security deposit. Unfortunately, driving record bit is usually non-negotiable. It makes sense: No one wants a teenager with multiple speeding tickets behind the wheel of a $200,000 sports car.

Read More: http://www.mensjournal.com/travel/events/how-to-rent-a-sports-car-20140415

Newscience, gregm and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you can afford to rent such a car, I guess, the same customer can afford to buy them outright. ;)

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. With Enterprise's record of dinging you after the fact with charges for every ding, speck, chip, bump, or mysterious defect--all caused while you had the rental, I don't think that I will be renting a high end sports car from them. Besides, where can you really DRIVE such a sports car. I think that if I feel the need, I will just go to the Bondurant facility in Phoenix and do so on a track where you can let it out and run.

WilliamQ, sobore, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recent experience with Enterprise has been quite different from the "old" Enterprise, regarding dings, nicks. scratches, etc. Or at least the Enterprise dealers I have been renting vehicles from are more forgiving than those of a few years back.

I recall once getting into an argument with an "Enterprise inspector", seemingly using a magnifying glass, to find an extra nick on a car door that hadn't been previously noted, and trying to charge me accordingly. In the past few years, the Enterprise dealers I've rented from in the Mid-Atlantic region simply search for major dings and scratches upon the rental car's return. It makes for a less-stressful car rental experience!

5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think many people realize how damn expensive it is to upkeep most of those exotics if they are driven at all. And I would expect most people to rent exotics in an area other than where they live, so buying a Porsche every time you get to a new place might get expensive in a hurry.

WilliamQ and sobore like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you are out of town... or you might want to rent a fleet of these to chauffeur your guests around town.
    There's the rich and the mega rich. :)