How to refresh existing reservations when elite status improves?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by gleff, Dec 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Like many others here I presume, I expect to become a newly minted Executive Platinum next month.

I'll have several existing itineraries booked into the future and would like to make sure that my new (EXP) status rather than my old (PLT) status is properly reflected.

I seem to recall that this does NOT happen automaticaly, and that it is not as simple as removing a frequent flyer # and then re-entering it.

Does anyone know the proper procedure?

Thanks!

karung99 and Kalboz like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's been a while, but my recollection is you will need to call the EXP desk and have them request upgrades again for you on all existing reservations/holds.

karung99, DestinationDavid and Kalboz like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I honestly don't know the specific procedure, but I believe there's also an element of "refreshing" the status by removing the AAdvantage # and adding it again in addition to the upgrade request refresh.

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    An eon ago when I became Continental "Gold" and had a trip to London already booked, the telephone agent's deletion of the OnePass number from the PNR and then re-entering it got me what I needed. But it wasn't an upgrade as much as it was access to preferred seating I was looking for, it wasn't American, it wasn't EXP, and it was years ago. Reading through the other responses so far on this thread, it seems to me worth trying to delete and re-enter the number, and if that doesn't work, then call the EXP desk once you have legitimate access to it.

5. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will have to call and tell the agent what you posted here and they should know what you're talking about. I had the same problem going from Gold to Platinum and called they had to update all my reservations.

karung99 likes this.
  6. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to call. If I recall correctly, my boarding pass showed the correct status, but the upgrade list was factoring in the old status. It was very hard to tell except that I just knew I was too low on the upgrade list being an EXP. The EXP desk knew exactly what to do.

karung99 likes this.
  7. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, I'd call the EXP desk and have them go through all of your reservations. I did this a few months ago and felt bad as there were some 15 or so reservations that needed "refreshing."

karung99 likes this.
  8. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it seems it is not enough to just remove the AAdvantage number, refresh, and then reinsert the AAdvantage number.

Step two of this process is that the upgrade request must also be removed from the reservation, and resubmitted once the reservation is updated with the new status. If the upgrade request isn't removed and re-requested, it will operate under the old status even though the reservation will show the new status.

So it would appear the process has to go something like this:

1) Remove AAdvantage number
    2) Remove upgrade request
    3) Re-insert AAdvantage number
    4) Re-request the upgrade

Most experienced agents know this is how it's done, but when they don't know, or don't do it right, we get to experience the consequences since we the passengers have no way of looking over their shoulders.

9. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    YMMV, but last time this happened to me, my new status populated my existing reservations on its own. However, my upgrade requests were in the queue as a Gold. They have to be cancelled and "re-requested" to reflect your new status. I only got hit once with this. The colleague I was traveling with cleared at the 72 hour window, but MY upgrade did not..... fortunately, it cleared on its own a few hours before the flight.

karung99 likes this.
  10. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 and I did status match from UA 1K several weeks ago but hasn't show up on our AA, we are GM and are sitting in the back to do this 9 SFO-ORD run to reach Ex-Plat this month.
    We did 2 last weekend, the question is why are they going to post these when can we see Gold on our AA? it was very humbling experience to look at Group 3 on our boarding pass and have to stand in line with other GM :p

11. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    4) Re-request the upgrade
    As part of the re-request, they need to make sure your original request timestamp is preserved.