How To Protect Yourself From Pickpockets And Thieves When You Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...from-pickpockets-and-thieves-when-you-travel/

When you travel overseas there are three critical things that you need to protect: your personal safety, your identity documents, and money. While the security of other valuables that you carry is important, the consequences of having your identification papers stolen can cause you grave difficulty, delays, denial of boarding on ships and aircraft, and can even result in your inability to leave certain countries.

I was in St. Petersburg, Russia last week, a beautiful place that attracts millions of visitors a year. Like most major cities it is a prime target of criminals, placing travelers in jeopardy. There were repeated warnings everywhere about pickpockets and thieves. Losing our ID papers would be a big deal here. We were told at immigration that if we did not have our passport and visa, we would not be allowed to leave the country.

Read More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...from-pickpockets-and-thieves-when-you-travel/

uggboy likes this.
  2. tcorbs

tcorbs Active Member

Status Points:
    It's really unfortunate that we have to guard against pickpockets while trying to enjoy a vacation. Taking precautions to avoid looking like a tourist would be in anyone's best interest when traveling. Try not to draw too much attention to yourself by staying in a reasonably populated area, write down the 800-numbers for your credit cards and make copies of your passport.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good procedures. The best is to be aware of others around you. Just do not let anyone intrude on your personal space. Being an American, I can be loud and obnoxious if someone is too close. I also try to keep my papers and cash secure when I travel. One credit card, less than $100, and ID (passport or Driver's License) That is it. Anything else is superfluous.

949 and uggboy like this.