How to pack more people on a plane w/o their knowledge

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by guinnessxyz, Mar 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://business.financialpost.com/2...re-people-on-a-plane-without-anybody-knowing/

Both WestJet and larger rival Air Canada are making a big bet this year that advances in the design of so-called slimline aircraft seats will help them not only add a premium economy section on their planes — which will command a premium fare — but also increase the overall number of passengers on their planes. All this without creating discomfort for their customers.
    The new aircraft seats are also lighter than previous generations, and therefore come with the added bonus of reducing fuel burn despite additional passengers.
    WestJet has yet to formally launch its new premium economy offering, which for a fee will offer passengers added legroom and other perks like priority boarding, complimentary snacks and beverages, and a second checked bag.

uggboy, sobore and GoodBoy like this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see a trend here with thinner, lighter yet somehow "more comfortable" seats. The new lie-flats in first will now be hammocks.

uggboy and GoodBoy like this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If/when they don't go overboard in reducing the weight-bearing padding thickness this can work OK. It's not like you really need that much plushness behind your back. However, the seat pad often goes along for a ride, resulting in the potential for some seriously uncomfortable seats.

anabolism, guinnessxyz and GoodBoy like this.
  4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We could just cover the seats in Dr. Scholls gel.

All in all, going more seats across bothers me more than some adjustments to the pitch etc. I'm sure comfort will be similar, and I think that climbing over (or getting climbed over) more people to get too the bathroom would bother me more. In the end, if guiness would share those eupgrades we'd all be up front and wouldn't have this issue.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    canucklehead, 8MiHi and GoodBoy like this.
  6. How much am I offered...going once, going twice, sold................so sorry:D

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta's Weber 5751s are absolutely terrible. Just not sufficient padding in place. It's possible to improve on this without the seats taking up any more space, of course.

Maybe people should just start packing their own cushion?

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the more reason to be an "econophobe" (to use a phrase I learned in another thread here on MP but I can't find that thread now).

9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    As we have discussed elsewhere, I hope to applaud them for choosing the "comfort" package. Otherwise we will just have to subject management to the Spanish Inquisition...

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    We want them to fetch... the comfy chair...

Wandering Aramean likes this.