How to optimize RR 2.0 for an infrequent WN traveller

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Misplaced Texan, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel on WN only a handful (8-10) of segments a year, usually on last-minute Anytime fares in short-haul non-stop markets.

Am I correct in assuming that my best bet for value under 2.0 is to accrue over the course of a long-ish time period and redeem for an Anytime fare to somewhere like LAS or maybe to a FL leisure destination?

Are there any other hints/ideas for extracting maximum value from this kind of occasional, full-fare travel pattern?

2. Kelsey
    Original Member

Kelsey Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll want to redeem for a Wanna Get Away fare---much better return, and those vacation type trips can usually be planned more in advance to have those fares available.

If you typically purchase the anytime fares now, I'd recommend going in the extra $15-25 and go Biz Select. For example:

$300 @ Anytime=3000 points (which is $50 of a WGA fare, $30 of an Anytime fare)
    $320 @ Biz Select=3840 points ($64 for WGA, $38.40 Anytime)

Even if you have to use a corporate card or expense the Anytime fare, I think it'd be a good investment of your own card to upgrade. An extra $14 towards a WGA fare makes the A1-15, drink coupon and fly by $6. Good trade-off, in my opinion.

Wanaflyforless likes this.
  3. cxn

cxn Active Member

Status Points:
    I dont think WN will keep the small difference for very long. But I agree, if it is $15/$20, better to upgrade to the Biz Select and get the extra points.

4. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're the type of person who WN really loves and in my opinion is targeting with RR2. You won't fly enough to make A-List, but you buy tickets late enough that WN is probably the best option to avoid a middle seat. I have a work colleague who is like that.

With RR2, your typical short-haul $350-ish Anytime RT is going to earn you enough cash to pay for even some of the most expensive WGA tickets (and there are some I've seen at around $500 on busy long-haul routes) pretty much anywhere in the USA in the same 8 RT that you would have needed under RR1 - but you probably would never have sniffed a RR1 award seat in that situation.

Meanwhile, you'll be able to redeem the $350-ish RT WGA fares in 6 RTs (earn 10x, redeem at 60x) instead of 8.

5. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Wanna Get Away is what I was thinking of.

And thanks for the advice on the Biz Select fares. There shouldn't be any problem expensing those if the cost difference is that low.