How to navigate the forum open thread / section

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Tinkerer, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed we're sharing a bunch of ideas on how to optimize our experience - some folks share something really cool they've discovered and others ask a question which helps make their experience on the site better. Plus, it is helping us meet other members of the community.

While some of this can be addressed through navigation instructions, I'm starting to see value in having an area where these types of ideas and questions can be asked in post-launch period. Would you venture there to share ideas, ask questions ... and answer them?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use quick navigation (NE arrow at bottom right of page), or access forum links through the top of a page from a watched topic.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Tim likes this.
  4. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those threads are really useful (as I'm sure the documentation the admins are putting together is). I was talking about something that complements them in a less formal fashion. I don't know how comfortable people would be having an open dialogue and asking "silly" questions there and I just think there's been value in the dialogues in the beta forum.

Since I wasn't clear the first time around, let me try again. Perhaps we need an *informal* forum where people can ask questions and share ideas on how to navigate the site community. Think of it like a lounge, if you want, where anyone is welcome (and, yes, while there's lounges, they probably go way to fast for most newbies to jump in and ask navigation questions). Anyway, just my .02.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Good idea, and since we want people to find that as soon as they join, it probably should be in the Newbie forum. Perhaps we could start a newbie lounge; even if it moves fast, it's a place where people could ask the same questions over and over without any problems. We could also encourage some of the "old timers" to try to pop in there regularly.

I've seen forums were some of the regulars have clearly created folder of text files to answer standard questions, so they can quickly cut and paste the answer and guide people with standard questions. These answers will be in the wikis' but that is an additional way to address the questions.