How to maximize SFO-BKK experience in Premium cabin using UA miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Apr 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I am putting together a two-person award itinerary for around Feb 2013 for Thailand (home airport is SFO, dates are fairly flexible). I see availability on most dates which is awesome. I have almost no experience in premium cabin, and would like to make this trip memorable from start to finish, so would great appreciate any and all advice.

To me, business class with a true flat seat already seems like a world apart from how I normally travel... but First is only 10K miles more, is it worth it? Is it two worlds apart? :)

My main choices of getting over the ocean seem to be UA, Asiana and ANA. I am told that UA 747 have good business seats, however 777 don't. I'm also told that Asian carriers might have better service, but their seats aren't as good.

It also looks like Asiana 777 might actually have a more modern true flat business seat? If that's the case, would that be the best choice for the long-haul portion?

What would you recommend? What would be your ideal booking (with reasonable availability; e.g., SQ1 SFO-HKG never seems to be available). What airlines/flights would you avoid? Any airport/lounge advice?

Thank you very much!

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    First is definitely worth it when getting flights out of BKK (TG's FCL) and FRA (LH's FCT). You will be able to route through Europe for one one-way and Asia for the other one-way. If I were you an ideal itinerary would be:

SFO-FRA on LH F
    FRA-ZRH on LX/LH C
    ZRH-BKK on LX F *FRA-ZRH has to be a same day connection so you can access the FCT*

BKK-NRT on TG F
    NRT-ICN on OZ/UA F
    ICN-LAX on OZ F
    LAX-SFO on UA F

The downside to this is that you would have to book two one-way tickets since it would be a RTW if you were to book it as a round-trip. In other words, you would be paying more due to the additional ticket fees. Personally, I think if you can get an itinerary like this then it's worth it.

Honestly, don't even think about SQ F for a long-haul flight until you're a week or two away from the first flight.

aptraveler, harvson3 and adambadam like this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with Jimmy that the above would be a nice itinerary, I personally don't like being on planes that much. I'd rather be on the ground, even at an airport, able to move around, etc. I'd rather get to my destination faster. Go the Pacific route from the West Coast.

I had been looking at similar routing, and I believe that your best bet in business is to nab the Quadra Smartium seats on Asiana through ICN, and eat Asiana food. The reviews are very good for those seats. Unfortunately, there's no way to know which routes will be flown using that new arrangement, given that the calendar doesn't extend to Feb. 2013.

If you do decide on an ANA routing, see if you can get it coming back from TYO. Better catering, so I've read. There's a flight HND-LAX that has good award availability.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH F transatlantic is pretty much non-existent more than a few weeks outside departure making it all the more difficult to get LH F SFO-FRA unless you're willing to gamble that it'll open up closer to departure. I agree with Jimgotkp though, that would be a great itinerary to experience many of the better F classes out there right now. If you can find F and have the miles, I'd say go for it over J.

5. double_black77

double_black77 Active Member

Status Points:
    I was able to book from North America to East Asia, then open-jaw from BKK with Stopover in Europe and back over the phone. No question asked and no issue raised about RTW.

bmg42000 likes this.
  6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the new Asiana lie-flat seat does seem like the best option in business. However, I just spent some time reading the OZ forum on FT, and apparently aircraft substitutions/downgrades are common. Would hate to book and get the old seat, with no recourse.

Among OZ/NH/UA, who has the best F?

7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    RTW for the win!

I'd go the other direction myself (in fact, I am) as it's the direction of lesser jet lag, but apart from that minor quibble, I'm all for it.

8. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    another option is to find a flight down to LAX and go that way. SFO -> LAX -> NRT -> BKK

i see stuff for dates in feb 2013..

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather avoid an extra connection. This will be a relatively short trip away from the kids, so every hour counts :) But yes, LAX is always an option.

Reading FT, apparently ANA flies new flat business seats SFO-NRT, and food options supposedly better than Asiana.