How to Make Money Off Airline Delays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How to Make Money Off Airline Delays

WilliamQ and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do both the U.S. and EU rules allow for the same payouts if the tickets were FF mile award flights, or are different metrics used as these were "bought" with FF miles and the only cash payments to the airlines would have been for taxes, YQ, and other fees?

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    EU rules apply to award tickets as I understand it, but remember that the EU rules are generally compensation amounts based on duration of delay or on cancellation.

Not sure what the rules are with US flights. Remember that some of the "rights" are based on the conditions of carriage and thus will vary from airline to airline. I think the only rule that applies by government regulation is the compensation on IDB rule, but I may be subject to correction on that.

blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Counsellor, I understand that each airline has varying COC's, but even for the U.S. carriers, wouldn't the EU rules also apply if they had flights to and from any of the EU/UK airports, regardless of the carrier's own COC ?

Counsellor likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand it, the EU rules apply to a non-EU carrier only if the flight originates within the EU.

So, if you're flying from ORD to Frankfurt on United and the delay takes place at ORD, you're limited to the CoC relief (or whatever you can negotiate), while if you're coming from FRA to ORD on United and the delay or cancellation takes place at FRA, the EU rules remedies also apply.

You can get more information on the EU Rule (EU Regulation 261/2004) here. As it says,

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    blackjack-21 and WilliamQ like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We received payout for a delay from FCO (Rome) to BKK on Thai ticketed as a United award. Sent emails to FCO Thai office along with a return receipt letter and at some point was contacted by LAX office and cut a check. I thought we were due about 600 euros each, and they sent $700 or maybe $900 for both, but I was happy for what we got.

blackjack-21 and Counsellor like this.