How to link AAdvantage with AA credit cards

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by upupandaway7, Dec 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. upupandaway7

upupandaway7 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys,
    Maybe a dumb question :
    1)How will the AAadvantage account know that I have completed minimum spending on both the AA credit cards. I have looked around in my AAdvantage account whether I can link these but could not find any.

2)is it the same procedure for all the other credit cards as well?

Need your help on that.

Stiga9 and miles and smiles like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citibank will send the miles to your account after you have completed your minimum spend.
    Yes, it's the same with other credit card companies.
    The credit card companies have all bought large sums of miles or points from the airlines or hotel chains they are affiliated with, so the credit card companies send the miles into your account after you have completed your requirements. Sometimes there are delays, but generally miles or points post within a couple days of the end of the statement period during which you fulfilled your requirements.
    There are rare occasions in which accounts are not properly linked, but those are rare.

Stiga9 and Million Mile Secrets like this.
  3. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The miles will automatically go to your AA account, If you entered your AA frequent flyer number in your credit card application!

If you didn't enter your AA account number in your application, Citi will set up a new AA account for your and you'll need to call them to find out which account number they set up and then ask AA to merge that account with your existing account.

The procedure is the same with credit cards from other banks as well!

Stiga9 likes this.
  4. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything on aa.com that tells you that you have an AA card? I guess i'm a little impatient/anxious to wait till the statement closes to see if my accounts are linked correctly (paranoid miles won't post correctly, or lose miles).
    Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 6.53.41 PM.png
    Is there supposed to be any miles posted at the bottom here? Or only when the statement closes?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    tondoleo likes this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once the statement closes it should tell you how many miles have been sent to your Aadvantage account. Within a few days it will show in said account.

Stiga9 likes this.
  6. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

I don't see my AA FF # anywhere on Citi.com. This is normal, right?

tondoleo likes this.
  7. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is. Do not be concerned.

Stiga9 likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    And, if it doesn't show up in the right account (for example, they opened a new account for you and dumped the miles there) Citi won't have any problems moving the miles if you call them and point out the error.

tondoleo and Stiga9 like this.
  9. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, guys. I hate being a worry wort.

tondoleo likes this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    We've all been there. I tried Vanilla Reloads for the first time recently just as they started to have a bunch of problems with their website. Got a little pit in my stomach until everything got sorted out.

Counsellor and Stiga9 like this.
  11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can secure message Citi and have them check the frequent flyer number on the account. Login to Citi and look for the Contact Us page/tab/link. Select the credit card. Pick "rewards inquiry" or whatever as the category. Ignore any offered solutions. Fill out the details. Check back in a few days and look for a response. Usually there'll be one automated one, then the real answer.

12. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    I tried the chat feature and secure message many times, and all times they gave me a number to call. When I call Citi they tell me to call AA.
    Like the posters said on this thread, AA is very good at linking your accounts.

Turns out my accounts were not linked as I thought. On AA.com my address is the current updated address but for some reason on their end they see one of my old addresses. I thought addresses didn't matter since all they needed was my AA FF #. But somehow things got jumbled up.

Anyway, the AA CSR got it linked and she said all should be good now.
    I'm always a worry wort with my accounts because I move so much (once a year-ish) so things get lost in translation.

Anyways, hopefully miles should post now. Thanks, all.

tondoleo likes this.
  13. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as the miles post, whether to your current AA account or any other, you'll eventually be able to merge the accounts. Might take a bit of work correcting differences in the names or whatever, but you'd eventually get it worked out.

14. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    Man, AA miles posted the same day statement closed. That just feels great. Amex MR & Amex SPG does not do that so i'm not use to this 'luxury'. lmao...

tondoleo and MSYgirl like this.