How to Keep Your Hilton HHonors Points From Expiring

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Canarsie, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is designed to give those who are looking to prevent their Hilton HHonors points from expiring, with the list being updated with the latest information here in this milepost.

How to keep your Hilton HHonors Points from expiring:
    • Earn Hilton HHonors points for the following, while ensuring that what you earned is credited to your Hilton HHonors frequent guest account:
      • Stay at a Hilton HHonors property:
        • Hilton Hotels
        • Conrad Hotels and Resorts
        • Waldorf Astoria Collection
        • Embassy Suites
        • Hampton Inn
        • Doubletree
        • Homewood Suites
        • Hilton Garden Inn
        • Home2 Suites
        • Hilton Grand Vacations
      • Patronize a partner of Hilton HHonors, whether it be via car rental, shopping or other partner.
    • Redeem Hilton HHonors points for the following:

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:

I use the Hilton Amex, which earns points into my HHonors account.

3. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    and with no annual fee, its a winner!

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, Spangenberg. Welcome to MilePoint.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW I got an email 13 months after last HH activity giving 2 months notice for my points to be wiped.

6. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a great feature, and it allows the member to top up points, even through purchasing the minimum amount to keep the points from expiring.

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially given the points are supposed to expire after 12 months.

8. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    So putting a charge on my hhoners amex every few months should keep all my points in order?

9. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes for the HH Amex.

For those outside the US, Amex is often a partner so you can refresh by transferring the min number of points (1,000 in Australia)

kiwi likes this.
  10. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can transfer from AAdvantage to Hilton Honors 1:2.

Edit: told that it is now 3:5 exchange

11. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't that change recently 3AA = 5HH

12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - changed late last year. [​IMG]

13. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also redeem erewards for Hilton Points. I believe $100 of e-rewards can be redeemend for 7,000 hilton points. Something to consider as they post instantly and it maybe a good way to top off your account and create activity to keep your points from expiring.

travelingmore likes this.
  14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The easiest way is to have a Hilton Platinum Amex or Hilton Surpass AMEX card.

15. SAN-man
    Original Member

SAN-man Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep. e-rewards are a really easy way to keep the account active. In addition to the $100 reward, they have smaller ones too:

$25 of e-rewards = 1,000 HHonors
    $50 = 2500
    $75 = 4500
    $100 = 7000

There was a period of time when I was wholly *wood that I'd just do a $25 transfer every year to keep my old HHonors points active. $25 is very easy to earn with erewards.

16. TravelGuy1965
    Original Member

TravelGuy1965 Silver Member

Status Points:
    An area for which credit cards (other than Hilton Amex) have options for transfers to HH would be good to add.

For example Diners Club, and likey some others.

I never looked into it but do any car rental agencies? One nice thing to do for airlines is to save your receipts and then later submit a request with the rental company to post miles/points to which ever account you need to keep alive.

This helps a lot if you have accounts with many different airlines with low balances.

17. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just remembered. Unless this recently changed: You can take Hawaii Airline miles and transfer them to Hilton Honors. Something to consider, you can sign up for their credit card (20,000 miles) and then transfer them into Hilton points. I hope that deal is still around. Previously you could take Continental miles, transfer them to Amtrak and then transfer to Hilton, but I believe you need a special Amtrak account now to do that.

Best,

PedroNY

18. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over on FT a few months back, I think I remember someone getting no notice that their account was going to be cancelled. It's probably best to keep track yourself.

19. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    HHonors points acitvity?

I think the EASIEST way, if you have a smart phone/iPhone is to download two simple apps: FourSquare and TopGuest. Top Guest connects through Foursquare and gives you 50pts every time you "check-in" to a Doubletree Property. You simply have to register your HHonors acct with Top Guest through the app. The points process almost immediately, and can be awarded everyday! (but just once per day).

BTW, "checking -in" on FourSquare is NOT registering at the hotel... it's simply clicking the "check-in" feature on the app. (it's kind of a game). BTW, you don't have to be anywhere NEAR a Doubletree hotel to successfully check-in... I check in from home near Hollywood in L.A. at the Doubletree LAX in El Segundo!

Also, sometimes you may see a "your phone thinks you are too far away, so no credit or points" message... don't worry, that's just for the FourSquare game points/credit. You will still get the 50 HHonors pts from Tog Guest!

They also partner with Priority Club for check-ins at Comfort Suites.

travelingmore likes this.
  20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if I was given notice because I used to be HH diamond?

21. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's possible but I don't recall if that other member was a Diamond as well. I think the eventual conclusion was that Hilton doesn't really have to notify members of account termination. I'm glad you got advanced notice!

22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless my plans change I probably won't do anything with it. I depleted my balance ahead of the devaluation a couple of years ago.

23. JonathanIT
    Original Member

JonathanIT Active Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed there is a thread in the Miles/Points forum that gives a lot more detail:

TopGuest

24. BobbyOrr
    Original Member

BobbyOrr Silver Member

Status Points:
    PedroNY is spot on with the eRewards. Very easy way to routinely pad your account and keep it current. $100 not difficult to get to with eRewards. And they move the points to your account very, very quickly.

I've been adding points each month now for several years with home delivery of USA Today. The number of free Starbucks and other coupons I get with that paper almost makes the subscription fee pay for itself. Well ... almost. If you are into e-readers I believe the new iPad version of USA today also gets you Hilton points.

Don't have a Hilton branded card but use my United VISA when paying for client and other business meals at restaurants in the Hilton dining program and expense it. So my company covers my accrual in an airline and a hotel program with the same meal. This activity alone pretty much keeps me free of worry of expiration of points in either program but I know many folks don't have the same opportunity.

Like most other programs Hilton has a shopping mall. You can add points easily if you dedicate some purchasing to it. I know some folks who allocate their annual Christmas shopping to multiple program malls as a means of earning a few extra points/miles to stave off expiration. Not sure if iTunes is in the Hilton shopping program but it is in other programs. I use it a lot as a cost effective means to prevent expiration in my wife and kid's various accounts. For a buck you can get a song you like and 18 or 36 months of breathing room in an airline or hotel program.

Also, and not to be too morbid or risk offending one ... if you need to send flowers for a funeral you can always take the Hilton link for FTD and pad your account that way. Thought hopefully you won't be doing that too often .....

dogwalker likes this.
  25. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    ANY account activity extends the account's "life" out one year, whether it is using or earning points. Enrolling credit cards in HHonors Dining via www.hhonorsdining.com or HH shopping mall is easiest, Hilton HHonors (no longer "Platinum" due to the confusion with the AMEX Platinum card costing $450 p.a.), a decent no-fee card, HHonors Surpass costs $75 iirc but renders more points (for Hilton stays as well as gasoline, drugstore, grocery store and most electronic communications bill paying at least), and any affiliate action that generates points will solve your problem.