How to keep Hyatt Points active

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by hulagrrl210, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have some points that are due to expire next month and was looking for (cheap) ways to keep the account active that doesn't involve a stay. Any ideas?

uggboy and intueri like this.
  2. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you can earn points by using the car partners Avis or Sixt.

uggboy likes this.
  3. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    do you know how long Hyatt points take to post from AVIS rentals? my AA miles post within a couple of weeks, tried Hyatt points a couple of weeks ago and they still havent posted.

uggboy likes this.
  4. stpat1
    Original Member

stpat1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ffitalia, uggboy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently had to send in my rental agreement via fax to get credit. Folks have indicated elsewhere that Avis points rarely post on their own.

uggboy and sunspotzsz like this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok, so turns out I CAN'T READ, lol. The May expiration date was according to my award wallet account, but they should have expired in 2010, not 2011- I didn't pay attention to the year. I guess Hyatt reserves the right to cancel points due to one year of inactivity (last stay was 2009), but somehow mine are still in my account :)

uggboy, stpat1 and Kaanapali like this.
  7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just get the Hyatt Visa card :)
    http://www.mychasecreditcards.com/hyatt/naep/?CELL=6XHY

uggboy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I called Starwood a few years ago to ask about the loss of a few hundred points I had lingering in thier books, the nice lady on the phone said I could have kept them active by just going to a hotel and buying a drink while using my membership card. Is that true? Would it work for Hyatt?

uggboy likes this.
  9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has not worked in the past for obtaining Hyatt GP points, as typically such incidental costs have to be associated with a stay (eligible rate or ineligible rate....such as an award stay or priceline rate).

It would be nice if Hyatt changed their stance on this given Starwood's/SPG's policy, but afaik thus far, they have not. If any GP concierge/representative is lurking and reading this, please pass this idea up the chain :)

FriendlySkies and uggboy like this.
  10. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have a few hundred orphan Hyatt points well past their listed expiration, is it possible that Hyatt ignores the expiration policy?

uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  11. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they overlook it for a while......but I know from personal experience (a decade ago) losing HGP points which were acquired during my honeymoon (about 2-3 years past acquisition)...YPMV ;)

uggboy likes this.
  12. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the points really expire in reality. I had an account that NWA opened for me in 1993 with 1000 points. That account was never used, as I didn't know about it until recently. The 1000 points were still there and were then merged into my active account.

uggboy likes this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had points with Delta survive from 1988 and 1994 until 2006. They only expired after I changed my name on my mileage account and logged in online

uggboy likes this.
  14. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hyatt doesn't typically cancel their accounts / points due to inactivity. However, according to their T&Cs, they can. Many years ago, my account was closed due to inactivity, however, they restored my "lost" points upon request. It's a YMMV issue. Another program that does something similar is CO's One Pass (pre-merger with UA).

uggboy and Wurm like this.
  15. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown on CO since 2002 and my remaining miles remain intact. Contrast to Hilton, which deleted my points to the day that the inactivity threshold was reached (on an account open since 1988).

uggboy likes this.
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had collected some points years ago, after this our account was dormant for some time, recently we began to embrace Hyatt again and staying in European properties and Asian properties again and again. Collected points, and at the moment we love our platinum status and are very happy with free internet in each location plus some upgrades incl. from standard room to Regency Club level as it happened to us at the Hyatt Regency Incheon Airport in South Korea. And yes, the earlier collected points from years ago were still active and count now towards our status. In our opinion Hyatt is one of the best hotel reward programs out there, none other lets us collect points and status so fast. Love it. In our experience Hyatt does something right and we believe it is indeed unlikely that Hyatt lets points expire on any account despite saying so in T&Cs.

Toula likes this.
  17. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Status is an annual thing - so "old" (well actually any points) don't really count. Platinum requires 5 stays or 15 nights (Diamond requires 25 stays or 50 nights) in a calendar year and you need to requalify each year.

uggboy likes this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true, points do not count toward any status at Hyatt, I meant that they are always good, even dormant points to get free nights in the future too. Naturally, our status is platinum at the moment and we must work hard to always renew it every year with at least 5 stays or 15 nights. We have already done this for 2012. We would also love to achieve Diamond at some stage too.

Again, points are also very important for us, not just the status achieved each year with Hyatt, we love to have free nights at special Hyatt properties around the world. This is what I wanted to imply. We actually look after both, points and status. Thanks peteropny for pointing this out.

19. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Certainly true - but also be aware that points (and miles) are not savings account that "appreciate" over time - the opposite is actually true since almost all programs "devalue" their points / miles periodically (by raising the points / miles required for awards). So having points / miles around is a good thing but don't keep so much that you couldn't use in a reasonable period of time (eg - saving for retirement doesn't make much sense in this case - except maybe if you are earning all points / miles from work and don't really travel otherwise).

uggboy likes this.
  20. gujjuglobal
    Original Member

gujjuglobal Active Member

Status Points:
    Another way may be to transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards to keep the account from being frozen.

nickfromct and uggboy like this.
  21. bea61
    Original Member

bea61 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had points due to expire a week before two scheduled stays so I called and asked if the deadline could be extended. They told me not to worry and that they rarely ever eliminate earned points, despite the advertised expiration date.

uggboy likes this.
  22. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    In all my years of helping folks by email or through public forums I am hard pressed to think of a single
    case of a Gold Passport issue where a member said Gold Passport has expired my points.
    Because the question just recently came up on another public forum I spoke with someone at Gold Passport who said in her 8 years she couldn't come up with any such case either.
    So my guess is Gold Passport retains the right to expire your points but probably doesn't do so.
    On the other hand I have had many folks very upset from Hilton or American where their miles or points turned into a pumpkin.Its always a good thing IMO to keep a program active.........
    Programs want engaged members we want miles and points.Its a good thing to be up on your preferred programs of choice as it keeps members informed and updated on all their travel options and current promotions

Toula and uggboy like this.
  23. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you still have the fax number? My avis rental receipt clearly indicates that I should get 1050 hyatt points, however it's been more than 1 month and I am still waiting for the points to show up.

uggboy likes this.
  24. Morgan
    Original Member

Morgan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't, sorry. The GP line gave it to me when I called them.

uggboy likes this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed !!